How to put together a functional display

Crank2253

Joined Jul 3, 2016
To some of us having interest in electronics,
(and perhaps to those that did not know before going though process of learning electronics),
that and an example of what is desired to be accomplished below,:
" I have lets say a VCR or DVD, the program, movie or show, however no display to see it"!

My dilemma as a beginner in this field of electronics is how:

1). To put together a functional display utilizing:
Common Cathode 10-Pin 1 Bit 7 Segment 0.56" Red LED Display Digital Tube
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Common-Cathode-Display-Digital/dp/B0BF5KJMLH

2). IC 74LS48 BCD-to-7-Segment Decoder Driver
https://www.oemsecrets.com/compare/...nents101&utm_content=new-search&utm_medium=ct

3). ...or how to 'hook up', integrate the two above, to this gadget:

Frequency Generator, (probably up to around 60Khz).

Thank you ahead

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
To some of us having interest in electronics,
(and perhaps to those that did not know before going though process of learning electronics),
that and an example of what is desired to be accomplished below,:
" I have lets say a VCR or DVD, the program, movie or show, however no display to see it"!

My dilemma as a beginner in this field of electronics is how:

https://www.oemsecrets.com/compare/...nents101&utm_content=new-search&utm_medium=ct

Thank you ahead
As a beginner there are a great number of things you need to learn BEFORE tackling any kind of display device. Most people are in too much of a hurry to get to the thing that interests them rather than laying a solid foundation for the knowledge base required to accomplish their goals. For example, do you know how an ordinary diode works, what the names of its terminals are, and the major properties?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Quite an interesting question, and certainly to an experienced electronic engineer, displaying the output of a video device on a digital numerical display device will be a serious challenge, and certainly not worth the effort at all.
OR, isthequestion about how to connect the digital display to a frequency counter?? The post is notclear at all

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I have over 4 decades of experience and I'd just buy a monitor for a VCR or use a laptop for a DVD.

Can't get to what you want with these components.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The lack of clarity in your original post is responsible for my lack of faith in your current abilities. I do think that with some patience and industry you can reach your goals, whatever they may be.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Both the VCR and the DVD player put out a signal commonly called "composite video", and decoding that signal requires some analog electronics that is really sort of complex. In my part of the world many folks are constantly upgrading their systems and so just letting folks know that you are seeking a monitor or a TV with video inputs will usually result in having one arrive. At least it used to work that way.
But that has nothing to do with the project of a digital display for the frequency generator display. And the arduino stuff touted by that "nuts and volts" publication will not work very well if you want an accurate frequency display. In between the analog frequency output and the digital display there must be a counter and a time base and also a bit of control logic. An accurate six digit frequency counter is not so horribly complex, but a whole lot of pieces need to work together exactly right to get useful results. I have designed and built a few of them that worked well, but none of it is a beginners project.

Crank2253

Joined Jul 3, 2016

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
OK, so did you bother to answer my question about what you know from post #2 so we can advise you appropriately?
My next question concerns the part availability for a 74LS48. If you have some of them, what package are they in?
The link you gave takes me to a form I choose not to fill out. If you don't have any it may be difficult to complete this project as the mainline suppliers don't appear to have any stock. The alternative is to use an EEPROM or an FPGA.

ETA: Common cathode devices are not really suitable for use with TTL devices. They require a logic high to light a segment and there is not an LS-TTL device on this EARTH that can supply sufficient current to light a segment with a logic '1'. So, it would appear that this initial plan is DOA. You need a common anode device.

Also it would appear that you will need quite a few more than the two devices. You need to acquire the numbers you want to display, hold them in registers, choose direct drive or multiplexing, derive clock and timing circuits. You got a job 'o work to do. Maybe consider a microcontroller for the job??

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I suggest implementing the counter and controls in CMOS logic. For that frequency it will be totally adequate and use far less power. Also, CMOS is more forgiving with fanout, which might be an issue with multiple digits.
AND, many of the early counters simply would count up,hold, and then reset and count up again. No storage latch required. So that would be a much simpler circuit to build. The downside is that the update rate is much slower, because it must wait for the viewing time is done to reset before it can count again.

Last edited: