How to pick the right Schottky for bridge rectifier?

TheLaw

Joined Sep 2, 2010
I'm putting together a lab/bench power supply and I'm trying to optimize my efficiency where I can since I'm using a rather inefficient linear design.

So I thought I might try to use Schottkys for the bridge rectifier.

I'm a little confused though. I see some Schottkys touting high efficiency, while their forward voltages are higher than even a 1n4007. But they apparently have a quicker switching speed which is apparently superior.

So do I go for a low forward voltage or a faster switching speed? I'm willing to spend a little bit of cash on them...but not like $5/rectifier x4

Also, is total voltage drop equated by the Forward voltage of ONE diode or do I add them or what?

Thanks.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
In a bridge rectifier circuit there are two diode forward voltage drops in series on each half cycle. You have to add them together.
Schottkys will reduce the voltage drop for a given forward current and bounty is correct, at line frequency speed is not an issue.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
In a linear regulator the few tenths of a volt reduction in forward voltage achieved by using Schottky diodes is normally not a significant factor in efficiency since you are dropping much more voltage than that across the linear regulator control element. It's only a factor if you want to use a low-voltage dropout linear regulator with output voltage operated as close as possible to the raw DC supply voltage.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
So if I have a bridge rectifier using diodes rated at 0.5VForward, the actual voltage drop will be 1.0V?

Generally yes, excepting when you're using a transformer center tap to get plus and minus voltages. But even then the total output voltage is still two drops below the peak voltage.

Take your schematic and trace out how the current flows. In a single output bridge the current goes out thru 1 diode and back to the transformer thru another diode, thus you get 2 drops.

TheLaw

Joined Sep 2, 2010
Okay thank you. Next question: How are single package GBU bridge rectifiers rated?

Like GBU6M is rated for like 0.95V forward @ 4A. That's pretty good if that's true. My expensive Schottkys are like 0.6Vforward @ 4A for ONE diode. Aren't shottkys supposed to be lower vDrop?