How to lower the output voltage of flyback transformer

resad indipa

Joined Jun 22, 2017
I’m using a flyback transformer salvaged from an old TV and driving it with a mosfet ( IRFZ44 ) and a resistor connected to mosfet’s gate pin. I’m pulsing the coil I’ve wound around the ferrite core. This outputs a very high voltage ( around 30000V ) but I want to have around 3000V so how can I reduce the output voltage with the mosfet I’m using? Thank you!

resad indipa

Joined Jun 22, 2017
I’m using a flyback transformer salvaged from an old TV and driving it with a mosfet ( IRFZ44 ) and a resistor connected to mosfet’s gate pin. I’m pulsing the coil I’ve wound around the ferrite core. This outputs a very high voltage ( around 30000V ) but I want to have around 3000V so how can I reduce the output voltage with the mosfet I’m using? Thank you!
Thank you for the reply. to clarify this even more. I wound two coils in outer ferrite core in flyback transformer with a center tap connecting both of them in middle of the core. which one of them are you talking about as primary coil? one end of a coil is connected to gate of the mosfet through a resistor and the end of the other coil is connected to drain. which coil are you talking about sir?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Can you draw your circuit, the coil you have wound is a centre tap , just put more turns on it or lower the supply.
Are you using a Lopt from an old TV ?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Thank you for the reply. to clarify this even more. I wound two coils in outer ferrite core in flyback transformer with a center tap connecting both of them in middle of the core. which one of them are you talking about as primary coil? one end of a coil is connected to gate of the mosfet through a resistor and the end of the other coil is connected to drain. which coil are you talking about sir?
If you don’t know which is the primary and secondary, you really shouldn’t be playing around with it to begin with, HV systems are considered dangerous and to be avoided. Although many will toy with it, but seems you need more study, and a proper laboratory with safe guidelines to follow, by an educated instructor.

kv

resad indipa

Joined Jun 22, 2017
Hello Everyone,
I'm trying to get around 6kV from a flyback transformer and I'm using IRFZ44N as my mosfet with a 200 Ohm resistor connected to its Gate. to lower the output voltage I added more windings to my primary coil but it somehow has messed with the mosfet and killed it. Here's my diagram. It's currently outputting about 2000V (based on the spark gap's distance) I'm trying to lower the output without using any ICs like ne555. both coils have 5 turns and center tapped in the middle. power supply is DC 24V 4A

Artboard – 3.png