Halloween Project

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Someone brought this to my attention, I didn't think about the RF created around the Arc.

Maybe build a faraday cage, somehow protecting the Mic?

Ground any residual "Frequency" also around the cord as well.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
You lost me. I can't find a question in there.

I guess I'm just thinking that maybe stray RF from the Arc might influence the Mic.

I know that it will light a Florescent bulb, but I don't have any idea how it will affect a Microphone trying to pickup the sound.

I guess I thought if I enclose the Mic inside a Faraday Cage? I could prevent any influence on the Mic from stray RF generated by the the HV of the Arc.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You have to be diligent with a Faraday cage. I tried to stop a cell phone from ringing by putting it in an aluminum project box. It rang. Then I put the aluminum project box inside another aluminum project box and that stopped the cell phone from ringing. Just saying...you might need two layers of brass screen box.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
You have to be diligent with a Faraday cage. I tried to stop a cell phone from ringing by putting it in an aluminum project box. It rang. Then I put the aluminum project box inside another aluminum project box and that stopped the cell phone from ringing. Just saying...you might need two layers of brass screen box.

Ok, so if I can isolate the stray RF by using something that will protect the Mic for instance, like the door of a microwave and shield it by shifting 2 different mesh or screens I would still allow the sound to pass and retain electric dissidence.

Maybe I don't know Maxwells equations but, I think I'm getting close.

Edit: Dissidence for that lack of a better term.

Edit: Edit: Displacement could be used? I'm not sure, after reading some of Maxwells conclusions, still that could also be wrong.

EMF is maybe the better way to say, I have problems finding a way to Isolate them and get my audio......

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I'm not going to build the Plasma Speaker and use it the way I was originally going to do it. Instead, I'm going to go with the Lighten circuit and a woofer and a speaker.

I will however build the Plasma just for the fun of it. I have the parts and will begin next week.

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
i built a similar thing with an ak19 lopt ....the flashover at 12v was impressive....when increased to 15-20v it was very lively and would have done a lot of damage if it bit you and that was without caps on the eht output....

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
sheldons, what's up. You changed your avatar, I wanted to post a thread with something like, where were you, and what were you doing the Day of 911 tragedy.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
sheldons, what's up. You changed your avatar, I wanted to post a thread with something like, where were you, and what were you doing the Day of 911 tragedy.

(Disclaimer)
Somehow, I created a deviant behavior in "sheldons" by telling him I wanted to know something, about 911 where were you and what were you doing.

I guess he built on it and created a rhythm of confusion and disturbance among the community.

I shouldn't be so ready to post, anyones "rhetorical" post's or opinions.

I won't in the future.

Thanks, #12.

kv

Edit: Here is his "Thread" as he has created it.

http://http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=89205

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I finished the Plasma Speaker circuit, not tested yet.
Heres some pics, I tried it and I'm seeing a fluctuation on my DMM off the center tap of the GDT, I'm pretty sure the "GDT" driving.

I'm not sure if I have a good wave or not, this is what it's suppose to look like.
I'm only giving it 12v and not 24v.

Any help to set up my scope would be appreciated. Have one but, not good at it. ( Agilant 54622D )

Attachments

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Can anyone interpret this? Voltage is around 1.25v every once in a while it may pop up to 10 and down to 800mv?

The first picture is off the bottom FET clipped to the middle pin, and second picture is on the Top FET clipped to the right Pin.

Edit: Sorry about the Pics, I'm not sure why my pictures are turning sideways? How do I fix it, make smaller file sizes?

Attachments

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I'm not able to drive the GDT and I don't think it's oscillating. Any help would be appreciated.

I've checked GDT but not the I/O of the turns yet.

Edit: It's all hooked up correctly. Now I just need to see if it's oscillating at 30khz

kv

Last edited:

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Heres some pics, I tried it and I'm seeing a fluctuation on my DMM off the center tap of the GDT, I'm pretty sure the "GDT" driving.

I'm not sure if I have a good wave or not, this is what it's suppose to look like.
I'm only giving it 12v and not 24v.

Any help to set up my scope would be appreciated. Have one but, not good at it. ( Agilant 54622D )

Nice work!

Seems that it will be years, before I can create anything like that.....:(

But, I don't give up the ship very easily.;)

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Nice work!

Seems that it will be years, before I can create anything like that.....:(

But, I don't give up the ship very easily.;)
Thanks, but not out of the woods yet. I was scoping the board and found out I messed up on the outputs.

I'm going back over the board again to see if I can fix it.

Edit: Plus most likely the way I wired it (not close enough to the GDT, it will have a lot of parasitic's.

I'll start a new board next time and breadboard it, this one is strip board. Either that or spend more time on design. Maybe I can fit my caps next to the flyback.