How to improve/upgrade magnetic levitation module

bengineer19

Joined Dec 10, 2019
Hi all,

I've bought a magnetic levitation module much like this one:
maglev.jpg
The device consists of a permanent magnet ring with 4 coils (connected in 2 series pairs) stabilising the floating magnet in X&Y.

For the project application I'm using it in, it would be very useful to gain an extra 10mm of levitation height, and I'm wondering if it's all possible to "upgrade" the device.

Would replacing the permanent ring magnet with a larger one help? Presumably this would then require larger control coils with beefier power amps to drive them?

Any input much appreciated.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Would replacing the permanent ring magnet with a larger one help? Presumably this would then require larger control coils with beefier power amps to drive them?
That is about what it would come down to. Even if not having to replace the permanent ring magnet replacing the coils would require a stronger drive with more power which would in turn require a stronger power supply. For each parameter increased so would go something else until just about everything was increased.

Ron

bengineer19

Joined Dec 10, 2019
Thanks for you reply, Ron.

That's about what I figured. I guess the question is, how much is there to be gained from making these changes?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Calculating the fields is really outside my strong areas. :(

My reply was pretty much a guess based on my own limited experience. I know there are pages and pages written on the subject. Most of the kits I think run at about 100 KHz which is to say the electro magnets change poles about 100,000 times per sec. Most use small hall effect sensors to detect and measure the field strength. How much would it take to increase the height? I really don't know.

Ron