how to help someone with computer remotely?

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Hi

I remember that once I saw someone using MSN messenger to help his friend remotely. The person was able to control the distant computer through internet. My cousin is very inexperienced with computers and often needs help even while installing programs. On different occasions I have tried to help her unsuccessfully over the phone. With the intention to help her, I downloaded MSN messenger so that I can use to remotely teach or help her but MSN doesn't have that feature now. Please note that I don't exactly remember even if it was really MSN messenger which I saw someone using or some other software but one thing is sure it was pretty easy to use. Just a matter few clicks. Do you know of any program/messenger which I can use to help her. The program should be simple so that we both can easily use it. I myself not very good at computer. Please help me if possible. Thank you.

Regards
PG

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Thank you very much. I think I have found the right program. TeamViewer would do it.

Best wishes
PG

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Logmein (https://secure.logmein.com/) is a very professional solution, and has a free version for non-commercial purposes.

You, as the technician, create an account and then download the software in every computer you want to control remotely.
Then, if the computer is on, you can log in to the logmein site and access it fully. With the correct BIOS settings I think you can open it even if it's off.

This is the software I use to provide technical support to my parents.

We use ShowMyPC here. Free, and both sides can be just "Run" without needing to be saved or installed. One side chooses "show" one side chooses "view", and the show-er gives the viewer the randomly generated access code given by the program to access the show-er's PC. Works via TightVNC.

Now with Windows 7 here, i'm interested in how well Remote Assistance would work for this situation.

Regards,
--David M--
aka Electro