How to grow in your hardware design career

hoyyoth

Joined Mar 21, 2020
Dear Team,

I am a Hardware Design Engineer, mainly working in Analog Circuits and Power Electronics.
I don't have any coding experience,I have worked on Digital Hardware design to some extend.
It's almost 10 years now.
To grow in my career what and all skill set I need to acquire.

Thanks & Regards
H

hoyyoth

Joined Mar 21, 2020
Hi, Thank you very much.
I want to go to Pure Technical side only like Technical Architect, Principal Engineer

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
#1 Join a professional society associated with your chosen field, #2 Publish, volunteer for service and run for office at various levels within the society. #3 Work in your chosen field, chalk up a string of successes, and study and do your own research to become an expert in your field.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Belonging to a professional society, and attending its meetings, has many benefits. In the ISA we did a lot of plant tours and instrumentation related lectures which were always enlightening. Knowing others in your field is always helpful on the job to have others the bounce ideas off of. Also useful when it comes to finding a job. My dad was a pulp and paper engineer and the annual Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI) meeting was considered to be a job fair and the prime location to recruit new hires.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I get a large amount of free monthly magazines every month. I even read the adds. It helps to learn even things that are not really helpful now but might be next year.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Dear Team,

I am a Hardware Design Engineer, mainly working in Analog Circuits and Power Electronics.
I don't have any coding experience,I have worked on Digital Hardware design to some extend.
It's almost 10 years now.
To grow in my career what and all skill set I need to acquire.

Thanks & Regards
H
Expand your horizons. I believe in trial by fire.

Take on projects that are beyond your current capabilities/knowledge, either through your current employment or freelance.

Commit yourself to completing the projects successfully and on time, learning what you need as you go. Do whatever is necessary (including ignoring the wife and kids)!

Worst case: you get fired. But you will have learned some new skills. And you will get a feel for how far you can stretch yourself (or how little...).

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I'm all for continuous improvement but I'm not suicidal.
Part of being successful is deciding how much you are willing to sacrifice to achieve success.

For me, work has always come first. I informed my wife of this prior to our marriage.

Doesn't work for everyone.