How to convert 2amp to 1amp??

Jasveer

Joined Jul 21, 2016
Hello friends
i want to know how to stepdown only Amp DC 5volt 2Amp to DC 5Volt 1Amp. i need a resistor or ...? Actually i have two device one need 5volt 2amp and one need 5volt 1amp for best performance so i want to connect with single power supply and i want to use 5volt 2amp mobile charger but i don't know how to convert 2amp to 1amp but voltage need 5volt. Please HELP ME.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
If you have two devices for 5V, and one draws 1A and the other 2A, then you need a power supply that is capable of at least 3A.

You don´t need to convert amps to anything, the devices will draw whatever current they need when provided with the correct 5V input.

JUNELER

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Hi,
Use 5V 2A power supply one at a time to each device.Your device that require 5v 1a will just consumed
it even 5v 2a is the power supply. Thats a wise and simple w/o cost.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Maybe this is common misunderstanding of what the "2A" on a power supply or transformer needs. Except in special cases like LED drivers, the power supply provides a nearly constant voltage and the load draws only the current it needs. That's why I can run a 100 watt light bulb from a mains connection that is good for over 3 kW.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Just like getting a drink of water. You have a pipe that can deliver a huge amount of current, but your drinking glass just holds eight ounces.
How many thousands of gallons from what is available will go into that glass?
That's right. Only what it needs to fill itself will go into it.

How fast and forceful the water is?, that is equivalent to voltage.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Actually i have two device one need 5volt 2amp and one need 5volt 1amp for best performance so i want to connect with single power supply and i want to use 5volt 2amp mobile charger but i don't know how to convert 2amp to 1amp but voltage need 5volt.
This is a common misconception with people who don't understand electricity.

A device/load will take the current it requires. If you connect the device that requires 1A to a 2A power source, it will only take what it needs.

You can't expect to be able to connect devices requiring a total of 3A to a source capable of providing only 2A. Unless the current requirements are worst case and both devices won't draw worst case current at the same time. To avoid issues with insufficient current, you should provide for the specified maximum currents.

Jasveer

Joined Jul 21, 2016
thanks Dennis , but you know that dual Amp (2Amp and 1Amp) charger available in market , how they do that and i want to make a charger like that.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
What others are saying is you don't need to convert anything. You can have a 5 volt 50,000 amp supply. Plug it into the device that operates on 2 amps and it will only use 2 amps. Plug the one that operates on 1 amp and it will only use 1 amp.

The problem only becomes evident when you have a supply that is capable of only giving you 2 amps and you need 3, 4, 5 or more amps. The supply is too small for the job. It's like lifting a spoon full of whip cream versus a spoon full of peanut butter. YOU are the power supply, capable of lifting a 25 pound turkey, but you only use the amount of strength (power) needed to lift each load.

Now, I don't think you could lift a 500 pound pig. So as a supply you'd be inadequate for the task. OR a 3,000 pound elephant.

In short, your 2 amp supply is capable of powering either device. Just not powerful enough to power them at the same time. Just like you could lift two spoons full of peanut butter at the same time. Or couldn't lift two pigs at the same time.