How to configure a chip using UART-USB?

Macoleco

Joined Feb 11, 2020
Hi,

I am using a USB-UART device (more specifically the Foca v2.2, FT232RT) to configure a Thorlabs chip (MTD415TE temperature controller), but I have no idea how do it. The chip's datasheet says to use commands such as "m?" to "Reads the version of hardware and software", or "Wx" to "Sets the set temperature window to x *)".

Do I need a 3rd party program to input these commands? What do I do? Already searched on the internet, and found no information.

Macoleco

Joined Feb 11, 2020
The program mentioned above doesn’t work because it requires the full board. I only have the chip.
But I already found some programa I’ll try out.

Thank you!

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
When you say that you only have the chip are you referring to the FT232RL or the MTD415TE ? Looking at the data sheet for the MTD415TE it looks like you just need a terminal emulator as suggested in post #2 You do not even say what type of host system you are using (Windows Linux, Ios, Android etc.) If you say what you are using someone will suggest a suitable terminal emulator program. From the data sheet (For the MTD415TE) you will need to set the communications baud rate to 115200. I suggest that you start by proving the terminal emulator and FT232RL are working first by connecting RX and TX on the FT232RT together and verify that characters you type are displayed on the screen.

Les.

Macoleco

Joined Feb 11, 2020
When you say that you only have the chip are you referring to the FT232RL or the MTD415TE ? Looking at the data sheet for the MTD415TE it looks like you just need a terminal emulator as suggested in post #2 You do not even say what type of host system you are using (Windows Linux, Ios, Android etc.) If you say what you are using someone will suggest a suitable terminal emulator program. From the data sheet (For the MTD415TE) you will need to set the communications baud rate to 115200. I suggest that you start by proving the terminal emulator and FT232RL are working first by connecting RX and TX on the FT232RT together and verify that characters you type are displayed on the screen.

Les.
I am trying some programs such as Termite, XCTU, and RealTerm.
When I plug in the circuit, it sends me the configuration data immediately, like seen on the attached picture.

But when I input commands, it doesn’t respond back. I know (or suppose) the information is being sent because the light blinks on the Tx of the Foca V2.2.
PD: I am trying to log in to the forums through google, but it sends me back to the log in page. Any idea why? I am typing from my phone 413EA65A-241E-44E7-B979-F3FB7763110A.png