How Technical is modern technology?

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
I went round to see a freind, and his wife started to warm some milk in the microwave oven for coffee... Then she said, "call me when the time is up 'cos I need to put it on for another minute".....I was puzzled as to why she just didn't just set it to two minutes to start with?.......to which, her answer really shows that some people will never get to grips with even simple modern technology........She said... "well it already had a minute left from when I used it earlier, and I didn't want to waste that"!!!!
She really thought it was like putting minutes on a mobile phone!!!!!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Once upon a time, you had to put money in the water heater to get a hot shower.
Also you had to pay the attendant to go to the loo.:)

You didn't want to waste it then, would you?:p

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
This is why I avoid people at all cost when ever possible, but then I have to go through the check out counter with mind numbing comments to other patrons before me.

When it comes time for my turn, all I do is grin and shake my head in what ever direction is "yes or no" until the ordeal is over.

kv

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
That wife is so true, I learned that in electromagnetic fields class. Same
class where I learned voltage and current are made out of frosting.

Regards, Dana.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I went round to see a freind, and his wife started to warm some milk in the microwave oven for coffee... Then she said, "call me when the time is up 'cos I need to put it on for another minute".....I was puzzled as to why she just didn't just set it to two minutes to start with?.......to which, her answer really shows that some people will never get to grips with even simple modern technology........She said... "well it already had a minute left from when I used it earlier, and I didn't want to waste that"!!!!
She really thought it was like putting minutes on a mobile phone!!!!!
That type of thinking is perfectly consistent with a lot of comments seen here about electrons, electricity and energy. Large numbers of people have the physical/technical intuition of current being an energy carrier in circuits with electrons as energy being collected in excess inside some type of component to be stored as energy for later use.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In my Power Boating class, the instructor kept insisting that students must learn this mnemonic (60D Street) for memorizing how to calculate distance traveled.

I was sitting with two other fellow engineers and we had no idea what he was going on about.

Then we finally figured it out.
He meant:

60D = ST

See if you can guess what this is meant to represent.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A new immigrant was at the checkout counter and she inserted her new bank card into the payment machine. It kept asking her to input the PIN.

The clerk kept repeating, "You have to input your PIN number".

To which the lady responded aloud, "I don't know how to do that. My PIN number is 5389",
to the horror and amusement of everyone standing in line.

True story, told to me by the lady that did it.:)

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
In my Power Boating class, the instructor kept insisting that students must learn this mnemonic (60D Street) for memorizing how to calculate distance traveled.

I was sitting with two other fellow engineers and we had no idea what he was going on about.

Then we finally figured it out.
He meant:

60D = ST

See if you can guess what this is meant to represent.
This is sad. All the simple formulas like that can be remembered by the units... speed is km/hr and that's your formula... nothing to remember... wow, just wow.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
This is sad. All the simple formulas like that can be remembered by the units... speed is km/hr and that's your formula... nothing to remember... wow, just wow.
This is interesting I just finished a Math concept about a week ago involving the Direct Variation of - y = kx but if you don't do them all the time or time passes without doing any "Math Ratio's" if your like me, they just slip out your ear and vaporize. :(

Did this to memorize them. Ratio\'s screen shot.png

kv

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The time in question and the age of the customer was a reason to allow some leeway for something I experienced in the early days during my apprenticeship, we wired some places that up till then did not have power outlets, some had just lighting, yes it was that long of a time ago!:(
One old dear called us back then next day and asked what she should do with the unused outlets, as she was sure the Electricity was leaking out if nothing plugged in.
Max.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Many years ago, a local domestic appliance repair shop had an old lady bring in an iron with a broken lead. She had tried tying it together and could not understand why it still did not work!!
When colour tv first became available in the U.K around 1967, my friends TV store had several customers asking for a "colour valve" (tube) so that their black and white sets would show colour. That was because the BBC had a caption before the start of programs that proudly said "BBC 2 in colour" which made some of those with B&W sets think they should be able to see "Colour"