How does signaling type determine device choice?

Management

Joined Sep 18, 2007
"Hi Every Body", (I always loved that saying on the Simspons)

I would like to know if I was to use some differential signaling method like LVDS (Low Voltage Differential Signaling) how would that affect the device That i choose to drive an LED and the TIA (Transimpedance Amp) I would need on teh receive end?

So this is more of a sourcing question on how to properly select devices. I know the specs of the LED and I know I should be trying to find a device that drives the proper amount of current it needs but I don't know if I the parts are made to comply with LVDS standards or something. :confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Is the LED at such a distance that it can't be driven with a pair of wires? To do the LVDS signalling, the easiest way would be a pair of microprocessors. What is the circuit supposed to do?

Management

Joined Sep 18, 2007
I think I used the wrong wording. It is not an LED but more of a laser diode for GB data communication. Can't get into too much details but I would like to drive a laser diode by use a driver from either Maxim, GigOptix, or some other manufacturer.

I think it can be described below:

LVDS ----> Driver/Matching Circuitry ---> Laser Diode

I more concerned about the center portion. I have identified a few parts that I think can work but not sure about the application. I will comb the manf. websites for application notes but i wanted to know if anyone can provide some help with how to select laser diode drivers when using LVDS.

Also, how to actually use the driver circuitry is a different story. I'll have to count on the applications notes, if they exist, from the manf. or if someone can give me some suggestions on how drivers are used.