How do you test this relay?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by elli, Jun 19, 2017.

1. elli

Thread Starter Member

Jun 12, 2017
    [​IMG]

It's in my washer - power relay. I can't get to the backside of the board.

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The relays is a 12 Volrs DC relays.
    The datasheet will give you wich pins to use.

Bertus

3. ericgibbs

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 29, 2010
  4. EM Fields

Jun 8, 2016
    What do you want to test?

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If absolutely sure you cannot get to the reverse side of the board, run the machine with the two top wires disconnected.
    Wait and see by sound or by holding the relay (or both) when it becomes energized, measure the resistance across the two terminals.
    Max.

atferrari likes this.
  6. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    If you can't access it then you can't replace it. So why bother testing it?

Sensacell and #12 like this.
  7. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    My guess is that you can measure across terminals 3 & 4. Those should be the top terminals (spade lugs) contacts. Depending onthe relays use in the circuit if it is energizing you will likely see some small AC mV reading and when the contacts are open a higher AC voltage depending on what the relay is switching.

Ron

8. elli

Thread Starter Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Can't get to the reverse side of the board :(

If it's working

That's the problem. The machine (washer) is not turning on. I am trying to figure out if the reason is this relay.

Good point. Just trying to rule it out. That means, if it is working than i can look elsewhere for the problem.

I am seeing 0v. Nothing. The machine is not working - hence the quest to see if the cause is this relay - so i have no idea if its energizing or not.

9. EM Fields

Jun 8, 2016
    @elli

Referring to post #8, If you can't access the circuitry then you / we can only guess at what the problem might be.

In my opinion, a good starting point would be for you to do the legwork required to obtain the maintenance manual for the machine in order to learn how to gain access to the machine's innards for troubleshooting purposes. After all, it's not like the machine is welded shut and hermetically sealed, is it?

If you can't find the data online, then requesting help from the manufacturer or posting the machine's model number/name and manufacturer here might be a good second - or maybe, first - step.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  10. JUNELER

Jul 13, 2015
    Hi,
    You are asking how to test right, but before i answer it, you can do a short cut test like these....

IF you know the contact pins of this relay, just bypass this relay contact by directly connecting the wires.
    If washer works ,replaced the relay,if not check the dc input of the relay coil going to supply line dc voltage.

11. EM Fields

Jun 8, 2016
    That's not a Good Idea if you don't know what the relay's supposed to do.
    Explosion.png

12. JUNELER

Jul 13, 2015
    Hi,
    I assumed that he understand the relay supposed to do, that why he is asking how to test.
    And my shortcut advised is a first test. Since this is a power relay it will directly
    goes to an ac motor that drives the washer (bin holder-clothes)

13. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If you have access to the stake-on terminals then the test I mention in #5 should help!
    Max.

14. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    If you are seeing 0 volts AC across the contacts that tells me the relay is energizing. You can also measure from Line Neutral to either contact terminal and should see line voltage on both if the contacts are closed. Assumes this relay powers the whole system.

Ron

15. EM Fields

Jun 8, 2016
    Without some actual facts to base an opinion upon, an assumption is a dangerous thing to make; especially when it involves AC mains and you call for a specific action, thinking that you know what someone else understands.

ericgibbs likes this.
  16. elli

Thread Starter Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Well, kind of. Its in a plastic casing which has to be cut open to get to the back of the board. The model number is Samsung wf0500nce. Searched all over the Internet for the service manual to no avail.

Could you please elaborate,

17. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Did you see the test in #5?
    You need to unplug the terminals first.
    That size of relay you will either hear it or sense it or both.
    Max.

18. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    Sure. The terminals you have easy access to look to be the contacts. Measuring across contacts using AC Volts scale you should read zero volts when the contacts are closed, like measuring across a closed switch. Measuring across an open switch you should read close top line voltage. That should tell you if that relay is energizing and the contacts closed when energized. That assumes you are switching line voltage. Next if you measure from mains neutral to those contact terminals one terminal will always read mains voltage and the other terminal should read mains voltage when the contacts are closed.

Also per Max if you disconnect the spade lugs and set aside so as not to be a hazard you should also be able to feel the relay click when it energizes. Additionally measuring resistance it is like measuring across a switch. Open or closed so infinity or less than one ohm when the relay is energized.

Ron

19. elli

Thread Starter Member

Jun 12, 2017
    I just tried it. Didnt hear or feel a click. But if the machine is not working (on and off button not doing anything) how do i turn on to hear/feel the click? At the plug? Also i just discovered that there is no power at the connectors which go to the relay.

But how do i open the switch? It's a push button switch.
    [​IMG]

Yep, im showing 125v at terminal where black wire connects to. Why is that though since the power source is 220v?

How do i energize it though, to perform this test?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  20. elli

Thread Starter Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Correction: I am showing 93 volts, not 125 volts...like i said in the previous post. What does that mean?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017