relay weld test detection

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Priyanshu Pandey, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Priyanshu Pandey

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 2, 2018
    Hi

I want to do neutral relay weld detection . Any electronic circuit can I use to do it?

2. panic mode

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 10, 2011
    what is "neutral relay weld"

3. Priyanshu Pandey

Aug 2, 2018
    I had connected relays in line and neutral , and i want to check individually whether either of relay got stucked when i had given signal to open it?
    I can detect for line but i am unable to detect for neutral relay whether it is got stucked or not?

4. jpanhalt

Expert

Jan 18, 2008
    Is the supply to the load AC or DC? How many sets of contacts does the relay have?

For DC, one simple solution is to put an LED and resistor across the relay contacts. When the contacts are open, the LED lights. If the contacts are welded closed or closed by the control voltage, the LED is out.

If you will post the circuit you are using, a more detailed answer can be given.

5. Priyanshu Pandey

Aug 2, 2018
    Supply is AC single phase 230V across Line and Neutral . the problem with detection of neutral as it willl always have zero volt either relay closed or open , so how can i detect neutral relay welded or stucked?

6. kubeek

Expert

Sep 20, 2005
    You can use a relay with force guided contacts, where the main contacts are mechanically linked to the detection contacts, so if the main contacts get welded the secondary contacts will not switch over when you energise the relay. But they are not cheap and generally not suited for high loads.

You could also add detection relays - one between the switched line and neutral, second one between switched neutral and line. One of these two will stay energized if one of the main contacts gets welded closed.

panic mode likes this.
  7. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
    You could connect a mains voltage neon (neon + resistor) across each contact. When both cotacts are open both neons will light up. If both contacts are closed neithe neo will light up. If only one contact is open just one neon will be lit - the one across the open contact.

8. shortbus

Expert

Sep 30, 2009
    Wouldn't the bigger question be, why is the neutral going through a relay? Single phase industrial/motor control usually doesn't use a relay in the neutral.

9. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
    If the purpose of using two relays is to reduce the problems caused if one conract welds, then both cotacts could be in series in the live lead.

10. Priyanshu Pandey

Aug 2, 2018
    It is connected to neutral relay as line and neutral can be interchanged and in that case problem should not persist.
    I have problem associated with neutral relay as it have zero voltage on both side of relay contact whether contact is closed or open

11. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
    See post #7

12. Priyanshu Pandey

Aug 2, 2018
    Can u please send the image of connection you have mentioned for post #7 so that it will be much clear.

13. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
    The switches represent the relay contacts and the transformer represents whatever the relays are feeding.
    upload_2018-8-2_19-2-18.png

14. Priyanshu Pandey

Aug 2, 2018
    Thanks Albert for your interest shown and helping me out. I understood how to do through your circuit diagram.