Test relay

RicardoR

Joined Jan 25, 2019
Good afternoon!
I'm an electrical enginnering student and I already studied about relays and how to test them but I still have some questions. My car has a electrical problem in the glow plug system and I think that is the glow plug relay that is bad but to be sure I want to test it. The problem is that it's a weird relay, a little bit different from those I worked with, so I don't know how I can test this one... I know that we should complete the circuit to test the relay but in this one I don't know anything about it. Does anybody knows where I should connect the power and the multimeter in order to test it?
Thanks!

IMG_20190125_183123.png

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Good afternoon!
I'm an electrical enginnering student and I already studied about relays and how to test them but I still have some questions. My car has a electrical problem in the glow plug system and I think that is the glow plug relay that is bad but to be sure I want to test it. The problem is that it's a weird relay, a little bit different from those I worked with, so I don't know how I can test this one... I know that we should complete the circuit to test the relay but in this one I don't know anything about it. Does anybody knows where I should connect the power and the multimeter in order to test it?
One thing you can do is test the ohms between every pair of contacts. When you find a pair that has low (100Ω?) but not zero ohms, that's probably the actuator coil. Place 12V across those and you should hear it click. You should also see contact made between two pins, probably those two big ones. If the actuator coil has failed open, this obviously won't work.

A more methodical approach - probably faster in the long run - is to look up the part number and get the schematic.

RicardoR

Joined Jan 25, 2019
One thing you can do is test the ohms between every pair of contacts. When you find a pair that has low (100Ω?) but not zero ohms, that's probably the actuator coil. Place 12V across those and you should hear it click. You should also see contact made between two pins, probably those two big ones. If the actuator coil has failed open, this obviously won't work.

A more methodical approach - probably faster in the long run - is to look up the part number and get the schematic.
Thnaks! I already tried to find the schematic but I can't find it... Probably I'm just going to test every pair of contacts like you said and try to find one with low resistance.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I think it could be more than a simple relay. It may contain timing functions. I suspect that the two large connectors are for the contacts that feed the heater plugs as they take a large current.

Les.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I suspect that the twist tabs could hold some internal part of the relay to the back plate. Removing them could make the inside of the relay fall apart. I think the case may be held on with two vertical tabs on the sides of the case which would require prising away from the relay base.

Les.

RicardoR

Joined Jan 25, 2019
Give me the year/make/model/engine size and I can find the information for you. That one looks like the one they use in Citroen/Peugots??
Yes this is a relay from a 2009 Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI. This car is a diesel and I don't know why the glow plug heating system doesn't work... That's why I want to test the relay so I can see if this is the problem. Thanks!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Yes this is a relay from a 2009 Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI
I have to ask if you checked fuse 24 in the engine fuse box?

Also, from what I can find, the relay may be solid state.

You can check here: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=710629

It's hard to say but I did find replacements that are supposed to work on eBay.

relay_Yaakov.jpg

Mods Note:
Please don't post colorful image file as *.png and it will causes the file size too big, the .png already converts to .jpg file from 323.610 bytes to 66.731 bytes.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
No luck on my end identifying the relay terminals mate. I have exhausted my resources. Lots of pictures but no pinouts. It is a solid state relay but not sure what controls what. Good luck to you. Have you connected each glow plug through an ammeter to battery and compared the current draw of each? They should all be similar. Is there power from the relay to the plugs? Is there power to the relay and have you checked it and ground with a load? Temperature compensation of sorts?