How do I wire a Leeson dc motor with a built in bridge rectifier?

Randy2906

Joined Feb 9, 2016
How do I wire a Leeson 1/2 hp dc motor with a bridge rectifier? There are two yellow wires, one black wire and one red wire inside the wiring box. After coming off the rectifier it looks like the black and red wires run to the motor.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You said the black and red ones went to the motor.
So now we have a bridge rectifier with four wires, none of which are connected to the motor?
Pictures of your previously described object would help greatly.

Randy2906

Joined Feb 9, 2016
I'm sorry my description was so confusing. image.jpegIn the pic you can see 4 loose ends. What I meant was the other ends of the black and red go to the rectifier and then to the motor. If you look at the bottom right of the rectifier you can see the red connected and another red that leads to the motor. The same is true for the black. Thanks for dealing with my ignorance.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
"So now we have a bridge rectifier with four wires, none of which are connected to the motor?"

The black and red wires connected to the bridge appear to have 2 wires on each connector. Do those wires go into the motor?
The loose blk red may be for an external brake or some other device.
But first we need to know where those 2 blk red wires go. Do you know what the input voltage should be?

Randy2906

Joined Feb 9, 2016
"So now we have a bridge rectifier with four wires, none of which are connected to the motor?"

The black and red wires connected to the bridge appear to have 2 wires on each connector. Do those wires go into the motor?
The loose blk red may be for an external brake or some other device.
But first we need to know where those 2 blk red wires go. Do you know what the input voltage should be?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Maybe giving the motor model number would get more help. Most motor brands have a website showing how they are wired.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Most likely the connections allow operation off of standard AC and an option to feed DC directly to the motor if using a speed controller. If you don't need them tape them up and just leave them alone.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Also if you need to reverse the motor you need to intercept the red & blk to the motor and provide some means of reversing them such as a pair of relays.
Max.