How Do I Reverse The Polarity Of DC Motor Without Burning It?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Simple and idiot-proof at the same time.
Not that well designed IMO, if operated repeatedly it stresses and heats the motor.
Most of the Hoists and Winches I have seen have a centre off position before FWD/REV and at OFF a Magnetic brake is applied.
But of course that cost more to build.!
Max.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
Plugging traditionally on a 3 phase motor is instant power reversal.
Max.
a plugging switch is to prevent instant reversal. a lot of equipment here takes very unkindly to trying an instant reverse. so the plugging switch detects the very low speed or stopping of the motor before allowing reversing.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
The bloke who took it apart and couldn't put it back together was a bit offended when I mentioned how simple the switching arrangement was.

You don't neccessarily need to be an idiot to inadvertently press both buttons at once, the winch was for hauling broken cars onto a recovery truck - vehicle recovery doesn't always go smoothly, particularly in pitch darkness and filthy weather. Just as the car starts to topple sideways off the truck, its an instinctive reaction to press everything at once trying to stop it.

Then there's always meddling kids that sneak up while you're not looking.
there should have been an interlock to prevent foreward and reverse at the same time. sometimes built into the switch, but usually in the reversing contactor.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
there should have been an interlock to prevent foreward and reverse at the same time. sometimes built into the switch, but usually in the reversing contactor.
The buttons operated directly the high current contacts, You could put a see-saw lever between the buttons so pushing one button down pushes the other one up - but that could lock out the motor braking that was designed in if both buttons are pressed.