How do I repair this Plug?

jshep

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Hello everyone.

There's this damaged plug, of which you can find some photos in the attached files (with and without the protective cover), which I was told, by the previous inhabitant of the place, was once used as an RJ11 plug for a telephone. I doesn't really look like that to me but I figured someone here would probably know what it is and how to get it repaired.

I tried Google image searching but didn't get any useful results.

I'm planning on rearranging my router set-up for it to cover my home with WiFi signal better and this plug would really come in handy, if I would be able to repair it, of course.

So, can anyone tell me if this is indeed something I could use as an RJ11 plug and how I would need to wire it?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi js,
That linked connector looks OK, check the link I posted to see the RJ11 wiring diagram, lets know how it goes.
E

jshep

Joined Apr 2, 2020
hi js,
That linked connector looks OK, check the link I posted to see the RJ11 wiring diagram, lets know how it goes.
E
Can you tell me which picture exactly displays the correct wiring? Many show how to wire more than two cables to the connector (except for this one). As you can see in my photos, though, there are only two wires running to my wall connector.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
There's this damaged plug, of which you can find some photos in the attached files (with and without the protective cover), which I was told, by the previous inhabitant of the place, was once used as an RJ11 plug for a telephone. I doesn't really look like that to me but I figured someone here would probably know what it is and how to get it repaired.
None of the pictures make sense to me. You have 2 wires and a terminal block. Were the phones hardwired to the block?

I assume your router is for DSL over telephone wires. Have you verified that the two wires are for a phone line? Is the line also used for a landline?

jshep

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Were the phones hardwired to the block?
I don't know. The guy just said that they used to have a phone connected via the block. He didn't give me much information and seemed to have not much of an idea of how it was set up. Given that there's no plug, it's reasonable to assume that it was hardwired.

Have you verified that the two wires are for a phone line?
How would I do this? I guess I'd have to connect a plug and then plug in a phone and see if it works, correct?

Is the line also used for a landline?
What do you mean? What difference would this make?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’ve never seen a network adapter with screw terminals. Not that they don’t exist, but they probably would not be reliable enough for Ethernet.

You can check to see if it’s wired for a landline, by checking each pair with a multimeter. The active pair will have ~48VDC across them.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I don't know. The guy just said that they used to have a phone connected via the block. He didn't give me much information and seemed to have not much of an idea of how it was set up. Given that there's no plug, it's reasonable to assume that it was hardwired.
Older installations in my locale used screwed connections for phones. They're easily replaced with modular jacks.
How would I do this? I guess I'd have to connect a plug and then plug in a phone and see if it works, correct?
That's one way.
What do you mean? What difference would this make?
If the same wire pair is being used for phone service plus DSL, you require a filter for your phones. If the pair is dedicated to DSL, you don't need a filter.

jshep

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I'll measure the wires with a DMM and check if I can connect a phone to 'em. I won't be able to do it now, though, as I just realized that I left my stuff at my other place and am currently holed up in my here, as everyone else is, due to corona. Anyway, thanks for the help.

jshep

Joined Apr 2, 2020
So I checked the wires with my multimeter and it wasn't showing any voltage at all (currently, I don't have a phone to test if it would work when connecting it).

The wires having no voltage, though, means they aren't in use anymore, I guess? Basically, they're of no use for me, right?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Using it as an RJ11 plug to connect my router there and thus having it closer to the middle of the appartment for better WiFi coverage.
Is it a DSL router? If it is, where is your service now if it doesn't use the phone lines in your apartment?

jshep

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Is it a DSL router? If it is, where is your service now if it doesn't use the phone lines in your apartment?
It's a DSL router.

There are multiple phone lines in the appartment. I don't exactly know the specifics, more or less I'm just seeing the plugs and some wiring.

But my router's on another line and working fine.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
But my router's on another line and working fine.
If the other wires are unused, you can use them to extend your DSL line. I've never measured a DSL line, so can't tell you how to determine if the wires aren't already connected. But you could just put a jack on it and plug in your router.

It probably wouldn't put another DC voltage on the phone line because that could interfere with the correct operation of a land line.

jshep

Joined Apr 2, 2020
If the other wires are unused, you can use them to extend your DSL line. I've never measured a DSL line, so can't tell you how to determine if the wires aren't already connected. But you could just put a jack on it and plug in your router.
Very interesting idea. I'll look into this, thank you. Essentially using the (most probably) non-used wires as extension cables, if I get this right?

It probably wouldn't put another DC voltage on the phone line because that could interfere with the correct operation of a land line.
I don't really get this part, though. Could you please explain it a bit?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Essentially using the (most probably) non-used wires as extension cables, if I get this right?
I'd first check to see if the lines are already being used for DSL.
I don't really get this part, though. Could you please explain it a bit?
A landline has about 48VDC when all phones are on-hook. It drops to under 10V when a phone is off the receiver.

jshep

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I'd first check to see if the lines are already being used for DSL.
A landline has about 48VDC when all phones are on-hook. It drops to under 10V when a phone is off the receiver.
Alright.
Thanks a lot for the help, Dennis.