how do i make an alarm system

notechy

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Basically I want to make an alarm system that triggers an alarm if a person (not animal) is detected only between certain times of day and only on certain days of the week. Thermal imaging maybe? facial or body-type recognition? no idea. does something like this exist? if so, please tell me where to get it!

i have zero engineering or electrical training. sorry! thanks for the advice in advance.
if you know of educational videos or something like that please let me know :)

info such as...
how to program a microchip/circuit board
how to connect it to a timer (for times of day, and days of the week)
what wiring to use
how to connect the thing that makes the sound (the actual alarm)
how to have all of this wireless. internet and smart-phone surveillance is not necessary. just want it to make noise if it senses human presence
how to connect the battery

basically how to build this from scratch with pretty much zero previous knowledge

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You are asking to take on a major project starting with no knowledge or practical experience.

Why would you want start with such a complex thing?

That you equate programming for facial recognition with connecting an audible alarm is a sign that, as you say, you have no idea what is involved. It’s not sensible to start this way.

Look at commercial systems to start. Look at “IoT Edge Computing”. Do some research, then ask more specific questions and people might have a chance at helping you.

Right now you look, to us, as if you are saying, “I want to build a car. How do I make an engine and how do I hang an air freshener on the mirror?”

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Any particular size animals you don't want to detect? Elephants, fleas, .....? Usually, suitable positioning/screening of a PIR sensor will avoid false alarms.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yes or a beam break sensor at a suitable height.

What about elephants, giraffes, moose... ?

What about children or even shorter people? A sensor placed at that height could easily be tripped by a deer, cow. horse etc. Actually plenty of horses are taller than the average human.

But I guess the proper height idea is the best one. The only other alternative, really, is a camera and AI software.

Last edited:

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Pet Immune Motion Sensors

A passive infrared sensor can be set up to ignore animals up to a certain weight.
A dual technology motion sensor is more resistant to false alarms caused by animals because
it requires two sensors to be triggered in a manner determined by the manufacturer.
They can be set up to ignore a large animal or multiple small animals without setting off a false alarm.
Some pet immune motion sensors have a sensitivity level that can be adjusted for families with very active animals.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Here is a basic set-up for what you want. This is just a starting point to give you a good idea as to what you will need. You can get more sophisticated with a proper battery charger and such if you wanted. The system as is will maintain a “trickle” charge on the battery. And be sure to get a PIR with at least 100lb animal Immunity such as the Honeywell DT-7235. (that PIR does "not" have NO contacts)

And there are plenty of other options, I’m sure.

AAC_Alarm.jpg

notechy

Joined Mar 19, 2019
You are asking to take on a major project starting with no knowledge or practical experience.

Why would you want start with such a complex thing?

That you equate programming for facial recognition with connecting an audible alarm is a sign that, as you say, you have no idea what is involved. It’s not sensible to start this way.

Look at commercial systems to start. Look at “IoT Edge Computing”. Do some research, then ask more specific questions and people might have a chance at helping you.

Right now you look, to us, as if you are saying, “I want to build a car. How do I make an engine and how do I hang an air freshener on the mirror?”

haha Yes I know I probably seem that way, I don't disagree with you! I more than understand it isn't something most people would undertake, but I have time to and because I can't seem to find one that already exists, I guess I have to make it. Call it a new hobby perhaps?
After speaking to a digi-key tech he advised me to start with the forums to see if anyone could offer any beginner's advice. Gotta start somewhere, right?
I definitely need to start with basics and this will likely take me a couple years at least, but hey. Something new.

Thank you, I will look into loT Edge Computing. I have looked into commercial systems but they're more complex and do far more than what my needs would be. OMRON has a series of sensors which sense stationary human presence with thermal imaging, and with a fairly good range of proximity, so I'm thinking that part would be one of the main components of this system.

I will learn more about microelectronic terminology and their functions and get back to you :)

notechy

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Welcome to AAC!
Any particular size animals you don't want to detect? Elephants, fleas, .....? Usually, suitable positioning/screening of a PIR sensor will avoid false alarms.
Hahaha fleas are ok, if I had a flea problem my approach would be sliiightly different. And if elephants were present, well my life probably wouldn't require a device like this at all...so mostly just cats and dogs

notechy

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yes or a beam break sensor at a suitable height.
Honestly, this would work...but I would need the alarm to go off if a person didn't pass by it (exit the room) before its set "away" times, and also would be triggered if they re-entered between those certain times of day.

notechy

Joined Mar 19, 2019
What about elephants, giraffes, moose... ?

What about children or even shorter people? A sensor placed at that height could easily be tripped by a deer, cow. horse etc. Actually plenty of horses are taller than the average human.

But I guess the proper height idea is the best one. The only other alternative, really, is a camera and AI software.
I need it for indoor :) I suppose it doesn't have to tell the difference between human vs animal, if it were a loud enough alarm and the little people and/or animals weren't deaf they'd be sure to leave anyway

notechy

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Here is a basic set-up for what you want. This is just a starting point to give you a good idea as to what you will need. You can get more sophisticated with a proper battery charger and such if you wanted. The system as is will maintain a “trickle” charge on the battery. And be sure to get a PIR with at least 100lb animal Immunity such as the Honeywell DT-7235. (that PIR does "not" have NO contacts)

And there are plenty of other options, I’m sure.

View attachment 172880

Thank you, this is excellent :)