How do I design a circuit that counts from 0-9?

pinkoryx

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Hello! I'm trying to design a circuit that counts from 0-9 using CEDAR Logic Simulator.

I have followed the exact same steps in my textbook, but for some reason my circuit only displays 1,4,7 repeatedly and then displays 8.
Then it displays 2,6 repeatedly then displays 9.

I would like it to count 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and then start over again.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

What is the part number for the counter?

Friendly bit of advice, drawing neater schematics will make it easier for you and others to read and troubleshoot your circuit.

You can't do anything about the unnecessary connection dots, but you can avoid unnecessary wire jogs and scenic routes.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What rate are you clocking the circuit at?

When you say that it counts 1,4 7 repeatedly, do you mean that it cycles through those numbers many, many times and then suddenly goes to 8 and then immediately goes to repeatedly cycling between 2 and 6 many many times and then goes to 9. Does it then go immediately back to 1?

Does it never show 0, 3, or 5, even when reset?

Is this behavior repeatable, particularly how many cycles it makes through 1-4-7 and 2-6 before moving on?

Have you looked at all of the signals going into and out of the the counter?

You should tie all unused inputs to ground (or the power supply, if needed). It probably won't make a difference in simulation, but it makes a huge difference in the real world.

pinkoryx

Joined Dec 11, 2017
What rate are you clocking the circuit at?

When you say that it counts 1,4 7 repeatedly, do you mean that it cycles through those numbers many, many times and then suddenly goes to 8 and then immediately goes to repeatedly cycling between 2 and 6 many many times and then goes to 9. Does it then go immediately back to 1?

Does it never show 0, 3, or 5, even when reset?

Is this behavior repeatable, particularly how many cycles it makes through 1-4-7 and 2-6 before moving on?

Have you looked at all of the signals going into and out of the the counter?

You should tie all unused inputs to ground (or the power supply, if needed). It probably won't make a difference in simulation, but it makes a huge difference in the real world.
Yeah!! That's exactly what I mean!

pinkoryx

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Hello everyone!
Thank you so much for your responses.

This is embarassing... I wish I understood what everyone means and all your questions, but I don't (my professors can't teach‍♀)

What's a 'part number'? And CD4017? How do I know at what rate is my circuit clocking?

Thank you in advance ✨

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What's a 'part number'?
You're using a counter in your circuit, but there is no part number. To analyze your circuit, we need to know which of the many available counter chips you're using.
And CD4017?
Use Google or some other search engine. CD4017 is a decade counter with 10 decoded outputs. It isn't what you want.
How do I know at what rate is my circuit clocking?
This refers to the frequency of the clock signal. Since you presumably want to be able to see the numbers change, maximum clock frequency isn't relevant.

pinkoryx

Joined Dec 11, 2017
You're using a counter in your circuit, but there is no part number. To analyze your circuit, we need to know which of the many available counter chips you're using.
Use Google or some other search engine. CD4017 is a decade counter with 10 decoded outputs. It isn't what you want.
This refers to the frequency of the clock signal. Since you presumably want to be able to see the numbers change, maximum clock frequency isn't relevant.
You're great, thank you so much!! I'll research everything you just mentioned and see if I can fix it ;D

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I happened to have the simulator you're using installed; it's one of the ones I decided was useless, but I leave it because some people on AAC choose (or have) to use it.

The counter you're using is called a "Register" component and doesn't have any block diagram or schematic we can reference.

How have you configured the counter? It allows you to control maximum count and whether load and clear are synchronous or asynchronous.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I didn't figure it out exactly; I followed the steps given to me by my professor (attached to this reply).
I followed the directions in your attachment and it worked for me.
upload_2017-12-12_8-56-56.png

Whoever drew the circuit in your instructions didn't know how to draw neatly or how to use the simulator. Those connection devices aren't required.

I also took the time to connect all unused inputs to an appropriate voltage. In CMOS circuits, floating inputs are more problematic, but it's a good design practice to not leave any inputs floating.

These are the default parameters for the counter:
upload_2017-12-12_9-0-12.png

pinkoryx

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Wow,
I followed the directions in your attachment and it worked for me.
View attachment 141500

Whoever drew the circuit in your instructions didn't know how to draw neatly or how to use the simulator. Those connection devices aren't required.

I also took the time to connect all unused inputs to an appropriate voltage. In CMOS circuits, floating inputs are more problematic, but it's a good design practice to not leave any inputs floating.

These are the default parameters for the counter:
View attachment 141501
I don't think I could possibly thank you enough!!!! Thank you soooooo much!!!!!!!