How do I construct a Down Counter (odd)?

KaiL

Joined Aug 30, 2014
I'm not asking if you know how to make it.. we can help with that if you actually provide the information
But YOU need to tell us exactly what you are trying to make and how it needs to function..

So far I can answer your question with the following solution..
Take 5 pieces of paper..
Write 9 on one, 7 on the other, 5 on another, 3 on another and 1 on the last
Staple them together in order with 9 being the first (on top) and 1 being the last piece of paper (on bottom)..
Voila.. a down counter.. Just flip through the pages to count down..

Now this is along the lines of what we expect..
---------------------
I'm working on a school project where either I'm not paying attention at all or the teacher is sleeping all day long
I need to create a count down counter..
It needs to start at 99 and count down in odd numbers ending at 1..
Each number corresponds to the number of seconds left.
I need the count to display on 2 small 7 segment displays
I need the count to start when I press a start button and reset to 99 whenever I press a reset button
When it gets to 1 it should wait until I press the reset button
I cannot use a microcontroller
I laugh so much when i see this hahah

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
He hasn't replied now so I assume he knows his stuff. I guess
As has been pointed out to me by others... The ones who know their stuff don't come here asking for help. The ones who do fall into a couple categories. Those who just need a little guidance and those who are struggling.

KaiL

Joined Aug 30, 2014
As has been pointed out to me by others... The ones who know their stuff don't come here asking for help. The ones who do fall into a couple categories. Those who just need a little guidance and those who are struggling.
True. Still I am quite curious on his current progress.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There's another big category -- those that simply want someone else to do their work for them. Sometimes those people come around, but more often they just leave when they realize that they are actually expected to put in some effort, too.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Care to post your solution?

Trying to use a standard binary counter would require a lot of glue and it would have glitches every time you tried to skip an even count.
Why?

Look at the following sequence (three bits for convenience)

111, 101, 011, 001

What is the logic that can generate the lsb?

If you have a binary down counter, what needs to be added to it to create all the rest of the bits?