join

Joined Mar 27, 2019
If I have a King thermostats with an electric system, this is old model:
S22 125/250/277 VAC
22 AMP SINGLE POLE
LR 27080
E 47273
King thermostat LR 27080 E 47273.PNG
Is it possible to use embedded programming and a new created device to control the heat from outside? Thanks

join

Joined Mar 27, 2019

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I do not know what you are trying to do... That is also a very basic bimetallic, heat only, thermostat. Define what you want to do (control heat?), what are the specs of the heating element?, the element relay, the air mover/fan, fan controls(on/off/auto), what device will support those specs, does it control like I want, what more do I want?, how do I interface it with the heat/air unit, etc. I will say that yes, you can build something! It will not be a device that is covered by insurance in case it fails and burns the house down because it has not been certified by UL or whatever electrical code compliance is required for where you live. It will also cost more (time and money) than a readily available commercial product that is code compliant. Good luck.

Last edited:

join

Joined Mar 27, 2019
I do not know what you are trying to do... That is also a very basic bimetallic, heat only, thermostat. Define what you want to do (control heat?), what are the specs of the heating element?, the element relay, the air mover/fan, fan controls(on/off/auto), what device will support those specs, does it control like I want, what more do I want?, how do I interface it with the heat/air unit, etc. I will say that yes, you can build something! It will not be a device that is covered by insurance in case it fails and burns the house down because it has not been certified by UL or whatever electrical code compliance is required for where you live. It will also cost more (time and money) than a readily available commercial product that is code compliant. Good luck.
Thanks for your advice and warning.
Other question is with the same thermostats, can I use an adapter to switch 120 V to 220 V, so the heat at level 60 will be equivalent to level 80 or 90. Otherwise how can I change the heat level to get the same result. Thanks for help.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The device you are trying to modify operates directly at mains voltages and is dangerous and safety critical.

You do not have enough knowledge and experience to undertake whatever it is you are trying to do, which is still completely unclear. You should abandon this project to avoid personal injury or a fire.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Is it possible to use embedded programming and a new created device to control the heat from outside? Thanks
There is a Picmicro schematic and code for a burst firing Triac type to replace a mechanical bi metal.
AN-958.
Max.

Last edited:

join

Joined Mar 27, 2019
Thanks to all. This case has happened to me, I am living in apartment, the maintenance men have replaced two kinds of thermostat.

At first, the heat was on only at level 75 or up, it was very hot like up to level 90 if comparing with the same kind of thermostat. If I turned lower, the heat was off completely.

Second time, the heat was on at level 70 or up, and it was very hot, not like normal, and it was off completely at lower level.

The third time, the heat was on at level 65 or up, and it was still very hot at this level, not like normal, and it was off completely at lower level.

The fourth time, it was reduced to level 60, and the same, the heat was very hot.

I had lived in other apartment and condo with the same kind of thermostat. The heat was warm enough at level 70, and at higher level in very cold days, not like this place. I want to find out how it could happen, and do a check. I would like to learn everything from every opinion, so I can take best action on it. Thanks for helping me.

join

Joined Mar 27, 2019
There is a Picmicro schematic and code for a burst firing Triac type to replace a mechanical bi metal.
AN-958.
Max.
Thank you.
Can you tell me how to stop this unwanted process if it is happening from outside only? Can people do it from outside only?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If I have a King thermostats with an electric system, this is old model:
S22 125/250/277 VAC
22 AMP SINGLE POLE
LR 27080
E 47273
View attachment 173475

Actually... you could use a small, low voltage heater mounted under the thermostat to control it. It is a method I used for a previous project where I had to control a thermostat temporarily.

If you set the thermostat so it will turn on unless it is quite hot, you can heat it to turn it off.

It does use power, but it works, and it is galvanically isolated.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Can you tell me how to stop this unwanted process if it is happening from outside only? Can people do it from outside only?
This method does not use any temperature sensing, it is done with mean current level control.
It is simulating non-sensed elements as in a Stove etc.
Max.

join

Joined Mar 27, 2019
Thanks to all. This case has happened to me, I am living in apartment, the maintenance men have replaced two kinds of thermostat.

At first, the heat was on only at level 75 or up, it was very hot like up to level 90 if comparing with the same kind of thermostat. If I turned lower, the heat was off completely.

Second time, the heat was on at level 70 or up, and it was very hot, not like normal, and it was off completely at lower level.

The third time, the heat was on at level 65 or up, and it was still very hot at this level, not like normal, and it was off completely at lower level.

The fourth time, it was reduced to level 60, and the same, the heat was very hot.

I had lived in other apartment and condo with the same kind of thermostat. The heat was warm enough at level 70, and at higher level in very cold days, not like this place. I want to find out how it could happen, and do a check. I would like to learn everything from every opinion, so I can take best action on it. Thanks for helping me.
Can anybody help me to find a solution? How could it happen?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This site is for people who do such things for themselves. We will not be able to give you a technical background in a reasonable amount of time, so you will have to hire an expert.

join

Joined Mar 27, 2019
This method does not use any temperature sensing, it is done with mean current level control.
It is simulating non-sensed elements as in a Stove etc.
Max.
Thank you, Max.
It happens to the stove too. It happened sometimes when I was cooking with the stove burners:
1) It was turned at high, then reduced to medium or low, but the heat was still at high, did not change at all.
2) It was turned at low medium, suddenly the heat was high level (at hottest level).

I am not a person to make it happened, and I want to stop it. Please tell me how to justify the heat is controlled from outside, I don't believe an electrician to be able to do it, so I refused to let an electrician test the thermostats, but how to tell them I know what is happening from outside, and how to prove it is true.

Thank you for help.