How can the heat be controlled without a thermostat

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
So you think someone is contolling your heating system from outside?

That is not happening. I think you need a doctor, not an an electrician.

Bob

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Simple solution. Throw the thermostat away. Install a wall switch. Too hot, turn it off. Too cold, turn it on. Problem solved.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If your mains supply voltage is subject to wild fluctuations then that will affect the heat output of electric heaters, although a thermostat would try to compensate.

join

Joined Mar 27, 2019
Simple solution. Throw the thermostat away. Install a wall switch. Too hot, turn it off. Too cold, turn it on. Problem solved.
Yes, that is a simple solution. Thanks
I would learn a lot from this problem, so want to solve the problem from the root. I want to listen and collect all of your knowledge as my lessons

join

Joined Mar 27, 2019
To my collegues,

Read post #20 carefully. His problem is not electrical.

Bob
If your knowledge is not enough to discuss, please ignore this topic. What is wrong if someone to find out the true if the heat is controlled from outside. Some professional people with high degree and experience dare not confirm that it is impossible, who you are to confirm other people are this are that.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Thanks to all. This case has happened to me, I am living in apartment, the maintenance men have replaced two kinds of thermostat.

At first, the heat was on only at level 75 or up, it was very hot like up to level 90 if comparing with the same kind of thermostat. If I turned lower, the heat was off completely.

Second time, the heat was on at level 70 or up, and it was very hot, not like normal, and it was off completely at lower level.

The third time, the heat was on at level 65 or up, and it was still very hot at this level, not like normal, and it was off completely at lower level.

The fourth time, it was reduced to level 60, and the same, the heat was very hot.
If I understand your complaint, it sounds like your apartment gets unpleasantly hot any time the heat is on. If you turn down the control, it turns the heat off, which is fine, but then the heat does not return even when the room gets cold again?

What is the energy source for your heat - is it forced air gas heat, electric baseboard heaters, hot water pipes, etc? There might be control points that are not available to you, for instance the temperature of circulating hot water. But we need to know much more about your system.

join

Joined Mar 27, 2019
If I understand your complaint, it sounds like your apartment gets unpleasantly hot any time the heat is on. If you turn down the control, it turns the heat off, which is fine, but then the heat does not return even when the room gets cold again?

What is the energy source for your heat - is it forced air gas heat, electric baseboard heaters, hot water pipes, etc? There might be control points that are not available to you, for instance the temperature of circulating hot water. But we need to know much more about your system.
Thanks for reply.
Just repeat: I had lived in other apartment and condo with the same kind of thermostat. The heat was warm enough at level 70, and at higher level in very cold days, not like this place. I had no problem with the heat.

It is electric baseboard heaters. If I turn it down, the heat is off, does not return, it is the matter.