How can I measure PCB-warping after assembly?

MoarBlacky

Joined May 30, 2023
Hi,

I am processing large and small pcb boards. The latest sample-boards I've got from a customer are heavily warped after thermal treatment. Blank pcbs with no assembly are completely fine, but once they are assembled (only one side) and heat-treated they start warping during the cooling process.

I am now looking for a way to measure these warpages. Are there any tools to do that in an easy way?

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Hi,

I am processing large and small pcb boards. The latest sample-boards I've got from a customer are heavily warped after thermal treatment. Blank pcbs with no assembly are completely fine, but once they are assembled (only one side) and heat-treated they start warping during the cooling process.

I am now looking for a way to measure these warpages. Are there any tools to do that in an easy way?
How warped do you think the boards, are, mm , um or what ?
warpage is in my experience due to the copper on the board not being symmetrical,
I've seen a 5 layer board form a banana when it went through re flow, ( not surprising really )

https://www.pcbnet.com/blog/causes-...page occurs due to,, glass fibers, and copper.