How can I know if this transistor is severely damaged?

Fox Ia

Joined Dec 19, 2017
So I have a 3D Printer (K280), and I needed to replace the fan. So I bought a spare that is compliant with the original specs. I stripped the wires and twisted them together (without covering them up first to see if they work first). A friend accidentally touched the fan while plugged in which caused the two exposed ends to touch and then sparks appeared where they touched and also appeared right where the fan wires connect to the board. Sadly the wires caught on fire and worked it’s way up.

Now I took a closer look at the board (MKS Base V1.5) and noticed this. If you look at the 3rd transistor, under it/on the board you can notice there is a darker color. I have to assume something got damaged here.

Do I need to replace the board?

Can I switch the extruder wires from the ports (green) E0 to E1 (They look to be identical so I don't see why not). It looks as if the three transistors are corresponding to each slot pair, and if that seems to be the case, I would think it is possible to move the extruder wires from E0 to E1 ports to avoid the potentially damaged transistor.

Are there any potential problems I should look for?

Thanks

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The fan was connected to the +FAN- connector.
Does the fan still work? Then you're ok.

The extruder was connected to +E0- connector.
Does the extruder work? Then you're ok.

Fox Ia

Joined Dec 19, 2017
I don't know about the fan. I'm ordering a spare.

Extruder was connected to E0, yes, but it looks like the transistor associated with E0 has been damaged (black spot on the board). I have no idea if I re connect the extruder to E0, it could start another fire. That's why I want to move it to E1 if possible.

Blakus

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I don't know about the fan. I'm ordering a spare.

Extruder was connected to E0, yes, but it looks like the transistor associated with E0 has been damaged (black spot on the board). I have no idea if I re connect the extruder to E0, it could start another fire. That's why I want to move it to E1 if possible.

The fan should be OK since the wires connecting it were shorted, that would not damage the fan.
As said before if it still is not working (measure the output volts) then it will be the driver transistor most likely.