How big is the Internet?

Werapon Pat

Joined Jan 14, 2018
If I have two computers, connected to each other can I call it the Internet?
or it have to be bigger than that like LAN,MAN or WAN. which one I could call it's the Internet?

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
It is not necessary that if two devices are connected that means they are connected with internet . Devices can either be connected via cable or without cable for data transmission . let's suppose you do have tow PC's and you want to send data from one PC to another PC. so you can send using LAN cable or Bluetooth you don't need for internet connection.

let's suppose you want to send emial to me then you need internet connection because we both are living in two different countries. Both the PC's should be connect to internet

Do google search, wire communication and wireless communication, Local network and Public network

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The Internet uses a particular (TCP/IP) protocol to connect computers together from one external location to another.

If the computers are connected with that same protocol using a private network inside a single building or institution, then it's called an Intranet (also a LAN).
An Intranet is often connected to the Internet unless the Intranet is a secure network and they want to avoid external hacking.

Any other method of connecting computers together is generally not considered to be part of the Internet.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You have an "internet" and you have the "Internet".

An internet is two or more networks that can communicate with each other. The Internet refer to a particular internet, namely the one you used to access the network that the AAC server is on from the one that your computer is on.

I would say a public IPv4 address would be considered the internet, and anything used as a 10.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x, or 192.168.x.x network is private (no choice on that matter, actually). Large companies and your ISP will hold several public IP's for the other public IP's to talk to each other. Anything after those is just one giant LAN (WAN in the actual/technical term) within the public realm.

IPv6 has enough bits to potentially issue out an address, plus a few more, to every individual person on the planet.

hrs

Joined Jun 13, 2014
The point is that you can and without conflicting with GPDNS. IPTables will do whatever you want and LAN address space is not limited to 10.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x, or 192.168.x.x.

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
The point is that you can and without conflicting with GPDNS. IPTables will do whatever you want and LAN address space is not limited to 10.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x, or 192.168.x.x.
Bingo..

You can have whatever IP you like, as long as there is NAT between you and "the internet".

Why would you want your PC to have the same IP address of the *very* heavily trafficked Google Public Domain Name Servers?
No one with at least 3 brain cells would ever do this, just making a point.

You can until you hook it up to an outward facing router.
As long as the router is running NAT of some type it is fine. The outside will not know anything about the inside range and it will not make any difference.

The point of my post is quite a few website I have come across make it out like the RFC1918 ranges are the only address you can use on a internal network, without specifying why, almost like there is some form of law out there.
The same websites also normally state 172.19.0.0 having a /16 mask, even if the standard is /12 :rolleyes:.

Bingo..

You can have whatever IP you like, as long as there is NAT between you and "the internet".

No one with at least 3 brain cells would ever do this, just making a point.

As long as the router is running NAT of some type it is fine. The outside will not know anything about the inside range and it will not make any difference.

The point of my post is quite a few website I have come across make it out like the RFC1918 ranges are the only address you can use on a internal network, without specifying why, almost like there is some form of law out there.
The same websites also normally state 172.19.0.0 having a /16 mask, even if the standard is /12 :rolleyes:.
It's just industry practice to use those address ranges, as it's what was explained to me in the CCNA course I took. Will your computer explode if you address a public IP for a LAN, no, but it just keeps some things in order to differentiate between public and private IP's (plus the so called "forbidden ranges").

The subnetting standard is for people who don't know how to subnet. I'm no where near an expert in networking, but I know enough to get by..

mufet

Joined Jan 11, 2018
or it have to be bigger than that like LAN,MAN or WAN. which one I could call it's the Internet?
NO

it have to be bigger than that like LAN,MAN or WAN. which one I could call it's the Internet?
Could be al three: LAN, WAN and MAN.
The Internet is the global system of interconnected computer networks that use the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link devices worldwide. It is a network of networks that consists of private, public, academic, business, and government networks of local to global scope, linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless, and optical networking technologies.