how a oscillator crystals were made

Threeneurons

Joined Jul 12, 2016
I'd have to dig up some more videos. I didn't look at the video, but they use to mine the quartz crystals. I think Brazil was the big source for the raw stones. The process, was indeed labor intensive. Some time in the late 50's to early 60's they started growing the quartz ingots, much the same way the they process germanium and silicon ingots. Then at least the orientation of the quartz lattice was preset in the ingot. This was one of many process changes that led to the reduction in cost of making crystals.

I still remember, in the 80s, that crystals where not all that cheap. In under 100 quantities, they still cost several dollars each. Though you could get a custom frequency part made, for under $20, in ones-n-two-zees quantities. Prices really started to fall until the rise of computers in everybody's house. Ceramic resonantors use to be a low cost alternative, if the frequency didn't need to be too precise. Lately, I've found lots of sources for crystals costing only a few dimes, in low quantities.