Honours Year Electrical/Electronic/Energy Dissertation ideas

marcsmfc77

Joined Oct 5, 2016
Hey there, this is my first post. Was just an enquiry about potential ideas for a dissertation, if anyone had any ideas. More so in the electrical/energy side of things opposed to the electronic side. I was looking at such ideas of 1: How to optimise grid tied micro inverters to make a PV system more efficient 2. DC - AC Inverter with a high boost stage. Or anything on renewable generation and storage.
Thanks
Marc I

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hey there, this is my first post. Was just an enquiry about potential ideas for a dissertation, if anyone had any ideas. More so in the electrical/energy side of things opposed to the electronic side. I was looking at such ideas of 1: How to optimise grid tied micro inverters to make a PV system more efficient 2. DC - AC Inverter with a high boost stage. Or anything on renewable generation and storage.
Thanks
Marc I
There are probably hundreds of queries just like yours in the archives of this forum. I can't remember a single one that was successfully adopted by the original poster. The problem is that you know yourself better than any of us. We are mostly hobbyists and not researchers on the leading bleeding edge of technology. Either one of the topics you mentioned sounds like it would be a great topic. What does your adviser think?

marcsmfc77

Joined Oct 5, 2016
Thanks for getting back Papabravo. The more approachable lecturers want us to do more electronic based ideas such as; using SCADA for different systems. Most of the other lectures in the different subject areas are more reluctant and are also quite hard to get a meeting with whilst wanting a proposal with aims before they will discuss a topic with you. I'm keen on avoiding the electronic side as it doesn't pique my interest enough, and have a smaller knowledge base compared to the other areas. But on the other hand the electronic lecturers(advisers) are more helpful and willing to aid, than the other course lecturers. Which may be more advantageous over the course of the project.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
One thing I might add is that it is not necessary for an investigation/dissertation to be successful. It is possible to get an excellent grade even if you fail to meet your initial objectives. It is the process that counts. What resources were you able to locate, how did you apply those resources, what would you do if you had more time or more resources, how could you have achieved better results. I say say go with what you have and show how far you can go with what you have. For example it might not be necessary to actually build an inverter if you can simulate one. There are any number of free simulators that you could use.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
I like your ideas Marc. Both seem good, and your work may well be a good contribution, or the start of one. It'd be cool to keep us posted here. I guess that'd be in the "projects" area(?).

IEEE used to be a great resource, and may still be, but even students hafta pay some membership fee I believe. I'd do it though. Papabravo is the guy tho, and is well respected around here, you know he's right, but the "unsuccessful" route would only work with certain types of people, or in certain institutional climates.

Best of luck, and don't be scarce!