Home school circuit analysis class suggestions needed

rpschultz

Joined Nov 23, 2022
Another thing to be aware of is that the simulator is not case sensitive, so 100m and 100M are the same, and are interpreted as 0.1, If you want mega, you have to use Meg.
Yeah I noticed that it didn't like 1M, so I just used 1000k. But ok, Meg is what it wants.

rpschultz

Joined Nov 23, 2022
It's also possible that the simulator's parameters are not "normal", such as temperature. But I would imagine you are using the defaults unless you changed them in the past for some reason and it is remembering them.
Eagle defaults to 25C. I changed it to 20 and 0C, even 1000C, didn't change anything. Not sure. These are the options:

1674756704613.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So where can I find a legit 2N3904 model?
Try snagging the model that LTSpice uses -- your simulator can probably eat it without too many hoops to jump through. If it can, you will have a much better apples-to-apples comparison of the two simulators.

Or, post the full model here and we can copy it into an LTSPice schematic and see if it produces the results you are seeing.

rpschultz

Joined Nov 23, 2022
Earlier in this thread, I was asking about different solder types, flux, etc. I was learning about flux, and researching solder on the internet. I have NEVER purchased solder before unless it came in a soldering iron kit. I’ve Always just gotten half empty spools, or hand me down stuff from old retiring engineers.

So in prep for my class, I picked up this Maiyum stuff from Amazon, 16,000 reviews, 4 1/2 stars, Amazon choice! Listed 2nd best on some “best solder” ranking I found.

Oh my GOSH! It’s amazing! The right combination of whatever is in it. It is easily 5x better than anything I’ve ever used. Not that I’m an expert. You can see in the below picture, I’ve just started soldering the pots, there’s lots of extra flux around the joint.

8BA1B7AD-5DB9-4525-9013-B6D593D9FF03.jpeg
Incidentally, that pcb was from a circuit I designed with help from this forum and learned how to layout in Eagle.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Oh my GOSH! It’s amazing!
I've never seen any significant difference among any solders I've used. Solder is just solder...
It is easily 5x better than anything I’ve ever used.
What made it better?
I’ve just started soldering the pots, there’s lots of extra flux around the joint.
From what I can see, the joints look good. Do you have isopropyl alcohol to clean the flux from the board? That's why solder with a no-clean type of flux seems to be preferred these days. I have a few rolls with rosin flux, but the rest are no-clean.

To clean flux, I start with 70% isopropyl alcohol and finish with 90-99% if it's needed. If I have a large area to clean, I'll get out the commercial flux remover.