High voltage switching

Mathijn Bernards

Joined May 31, 2018
I need to make a circuit to switch high voltage between two parts. Say I have one part A and one part B, separated by a large resistor (2 Mohm) and I have a high voltage supply. I want to switch between setting the voltage on part A and grounding part B, or setting the voltage on part B and grounding part A, switching only when not in operation. How should I do this? In a low voltage application I could use a dpdt switch but this likely won't work for high voltages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

casteels

Joined Mar 22, 2012
I need to make a circuit to switch high voltage between two parts. Say I have one part A and one part B, separated by a large resistor (2 Mohm) and I have a high voltage supply. I want to switch between setting the voltage on part A and grounding part B, or setting the voltage on part B and grounding part A, switching only when not in operation. How should I do this? In a low voltage application I could use a dpdt switch but this likely won't work for high voltages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Did you have a look here: http://www.behlke.com/
I have used it to switch a high voltage on an electrode.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
If you live in the U.K, I have some high vacuum high voltage reed relays that would do the job. I have used them up 15kV with no problems.

Also QRO-stuff on E.bay keeps a lot of high voltage equipment, mostly ex USSR military.

Mathijn Bernards

Joined May 31, 2018
Thanks for the replies everyone!
I think a high voltage relay will do the job and I found several on RS just like the one Eric linked.
I don't live in the UK but I will take a look at the QRO-stuff as well.