High/low side driver

LeeRoyzzz

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Hi,
First post....
I am looking for a driver similar to IR2110 for a 400V bridge BUT it needs to operated down to -55C. I've searched but could not find anything.
Anyone feel like helping out?
Thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What do you expect us to do? Open up a fab that produces Mil Spec equivalents of common parts? We should be able to put that together for a mere 4 billion in venture capital.

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
Hi,
First post....
I am looking for a driver similar to IR2110 for a 400V bridge BUT it needs to operated down to -55C. I've searched but could not find anything.
Anyone feel like helping out?
Well, my first suggestion would be to have a heater which would keep the IC above -40º which is what it is rated at. If you want to get a bit more sophisticated you can add a temperature sensor to control the heater.

What is the application?

Distort10n

Joined Dec 25, 2006
What do you expect us to do? Open up a fab that produces Mil Spec equivalents of common parts? We should be able to put that together for a mere 4 billion in venture capital.
That or offer him a similar device and/or option that can operate down at -55 degrees.

Always remember that -55 is the ambient operating temperature. Clever is a man who can ensure the operating temp in a harsh environment.:cool:

TI and National have similar parts, but they do not match the specifications you need.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
That or offer him a similar device and/or option that can operate down at -55 degrees.

Always remember that -55 is the ambient operating temperature. Clever is a man who can ensure the operating temp in a harsh environment.:cool:

TI and National have similar parts, but they do not match the specifications you need.
My suggestion was not as flip as it may have sounded. I was reasonably certain that a part with the specifications required did not exist. Others have pointed out that controlling the environment of the IC's may be an easier task, but when the application is mission critical sometimes that just won't do. I also have a suspicion, given the requirements, that other things besides the driver chip are going to have a problem at -55 degrees C. That's cold enough to where you need to eat ice cream when you come inside to prevent your teeth from cracking when you drink coffee or tea.

LeeRoyzzz

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Some military designs are mission critical and require -55C operation with no warmup time. All parts need to be rated for an ambient operation of -55C. HV caps just don't exist so you have to stack them. Finding parts nowadays is hard but still doable. Most likely I will use a drive xfmr but a 2110 chip or similar is what I'd like to find.

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
You can also have the parts screened for lower temp operation if they at least have a storage temp that goes that low. Another option is to buy the die and have it repackaged. But both options are costly though.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No need to answer that way.
I answered that way because I'm reasonably certain that it is about the only way to get the chip that the OP requires. You may have thought the answer was smart-alecky but I assure you it was dead serious. In a military application the cost of a custom design assuming you can find a fab might be just a bit less then building a fab from scratch. Still you need deep pockets or a very large volume to amortize the cost.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You don't by any chance happen to be working for the Iranian government, huh? ;)
Doesn't matter. I don't think there are any fabs there. At least nobody's mentioned being concerned about all the high tech silicon being produced there. It's also pretty tough to get the PhD in materials science with all the distractions.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I answered that way because I'm reasonably certain that it is about the only way to get the chip that the OP requires. You may have thought the answer was smart-alecky but I assure you it was dead serious. In a military application the cost of a custom design assuming you can find a fab might be just a bit less then building a fab from scratch. Still you need deep pockets or a very large volume to amortize the cost.
Sorry for my misunderstanding.