HELP

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
Connect the negative terminal of one battery to the positive terminal of the other battery. Now you have 12-Volts.

Like this;

battery-1 & battery-2
+ - >>>>>>>> + -

12-Volts between negative terminal of battery 2 and positive terminal of battery 1.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I don´t think it is wise to connect sources in parallel, especialy baterries. If they have high amp rating (low "inside" resistence) and not completely same voltage, they would run into short and the one with higher voltage would try to charge the second one.

does anyone know: would diodes on + terminals help?

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
I wasn't inclinin' mskip to do that, just for clarification purposes and better understanding :).

Sounds like it might in theory. Will look this one up. thx l8er

-fire

Gorgon

Joined Aug 14, 2005
Originally posted by kubeek@Sep 24 2005, 10:45 AM
I don´t think it is wise to connect sources in parallel, especialy baterries. If they have high amp rating (low "inside" resistence) and not completely same voltage, they would run into short and the one with higher voltage would try to charge the second one.

[post=10559]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi,
Yes, diodes from each battery would separate them from each other, this is normal in a multiple battery system. You'll also need separation diodes on the charge input for the same reason as described above.

TOK ;)

Brandon

Joined Dec 14, 2004
The diodoe seperation works. The same concept is used for solar panels just incase a section of one gets shaded and its voltage drops below the rest of them. It can still supply current but the diodes prevent the short.

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
Originally posted by kubeek@Sep 24 2005, 02:45 AM

[post=10559]Quoted post[/post]​
Internal resistance mis-match is a common problem in paralleled multi-cell power supplies, but usually only leads to early failure of the batteries. Ths US Navy uses series-parallel connected batteries in small diesel boats all the time as a way to increase amps and save space.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Internal resistance mismatch in Series connections can cause problems too.

Take a series of six 12 volt batteries used in a 1kW UPS. The one with the higher resistance inhibits the charge current to where all the batteries are not recharged equally. This in turn does not allow the UPS to perform optimally.