Help with USB-C to UART schematic using FT230X and STM32

ponas.jonas

Joined Feb 28, 2023
Hi all,

I am trying to add a USB-C socket on my PCB that I would like to use for data transfer only. I currently have a simple UART molex connection, but I would like to upgrade it to USB-C in my next iteration of my PCB :)

I am using the FT230X to convert it to UART as I want to use DMA with my STM32 microprocessor. I have attached the receptacle schematic for the USB-C, along with my schematic :) The image with the receptacle schematics can be found here: LINK

I have a few questions regarding the schematic:
  1. Since I am using it for data transfer, can I neglect VBUS? From my understanding it is used for power delivery.
  2. What is the use of the "vias" (i assume they are vias) in schematic from the datasheet? For example the one in CC2 close to the 5.1k resistor
  3. I cannot find a ferrite bead in stock like that in the schematic can I neglect it? I understand that it is used to filter out high frequency, but what happens if I do not include it?
  4. Is there anything I can neglect from the schematic as I do not need any power delivery?
  5. General/amateur mistakes I have made in my schematic that I should not do in the future

Thank you very much for reading my question and I am looking forward to hearing the suggestions :)))

1714379771642.png1714380143209.png

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have a few questions regarding the schematic:
Since I am using it for data transfer, can I neglect VBUS? From my understanding it is used for power delivery.
Yes, you can ignore VBUS. Is there a reason why you are using GT-USB-7010ASV instead of a simpler USB connector?
What is the use of the "vias" (i assume they are vias) in schematic from the datasheet? For example the one in CC2 close to the 5.1k resistor
I don't see any "vias". Vias usually refer to plated through holes in a PCB.
I cannot find a ferrite bead in stock like that in the schematic can I neglect it? I understand that it is used to filter out high frequency, but what happens if I do not include it?
You are correct. You can ignore the ferrite bead. It would take some fancy test equipment and analysis to measure its effectiveness if you were making a product to be sold.
Is there anything I can neglect from the schematic as I do not need any power delivery?
If you were doing this for yourself as a hobby, you could eliminate R103, R104, C108, C109, C110.
General/amateur mistakes I have made in my schematic that I should not do in the future
I don't see anything obvious.

ponas.jonas

Joined Feb 28, 2023
First of all, thank you very much for the reply, I appreciate it greatly @MrChips :)

Should I just leave VBUS untouched, or should I ground it?

I mainly chose the GT-USB-7010ASV simply because it was the USB-C socket I could find on jlcpcb.com/parts so it could be directly mounted on the PCB

The vias I had in mind were these circular things:

1714477819615.png

Last edited:

ponas.jonas

Joined Feb 28, 2023
Yes, you can ignore VBUS. Is there a reason why you are using GT-USB-7010ASV instead of a simpler USB connector?
I don't see any "vias". Vias usually refer to plated through holes in a PCB.
You are correct. You can ignore the ferrite bead. It would take some fancy test equipment and analysis to measure its effectiveness if you were making a product to be sold.
If you were doing this for yourself as a hobby, you could eliminate R103, R104, C108, C109, C110.
I don't see anything obvious.
Sorry, I forgot to add you to my reply ;(