Help with understanding SSR-AA connections

ThirtyWest

Joined Jul 15, 2017
Fotek SSR-25 AA (80-250VAC input side) output is 24-380.

Using a simple switch to take 120VAC into it to run a small 120VAC desktop fan in the garage. I know a relay isn't needed for this, but it was all I had lying around to test the relay on the workbench. The end result was to use a 120VAC motion sensor (garage light) to run a fog machine. Originally the machine to be used had a much lower voltage running through the push-button (not the typical halloween store 3-prong plugs). But, the fogger to be used has a basic 120V 3-prong plug and push button. But, I still wanted to test the relay to see how it worked.SSR-AA.jpg

The relay worked, cutting the fan off and on as planned, but there were some unexpected test results:

1. testing between 4 & 3 showed 120v--ok.
2. testing between 1& 2 when it's all running was .6 to .7 VAC. ?
3. testing between 1 & VCC or 2 & VCC was 120v.
4. When unplugged on the input side, with the fan's source still plugged in, the test across 1 & 2 went up to 120.

I just re-sketched the wiring diagram and will attach it below.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
You didn't show the source on the primary side but assuming it is there in series with the switch:

1) Normal - that is the input voltage required to turn on the relay
2) Normal - when running, the relay is like a closed switch which ideally would have no voltage across it. Since it is solid state, there is some 'resistance' which drops a little voltage when it is on. The rest of the voltage - essentially all of the applied voltage - is present across the load which is what you want.
3) VCC?
4) Normal. The relay is OFF i.e. open circuit. You are measuring S, the applied voltage, through the load. Compared to your meter the load is a much lower impedance so it is essentially a piece of wire back to S when measuring.

ThirtyWest

Joined Jul 15, 2017
sorry, on #3...the source for the fan on the output side.

Thanks for the input. That makes sense now.

Is there a safety issue running a load on the output side that is "lower" than the rated limits?

I.e., lower than 24 volts in this case.

ThirtyWest

Joined Jul 15, 2017
So i tried testing that same fan (that worked fine on the relay) with using the motion sensor from Lowes. Sensor = 120. Fan = 120.

But, the output of the sensor seems to be too low--when tripped it only shows about 70 with no load and it only twerks the fan a little then stops.

I thought those sensors went straight into 60W flood lamps and such?

ThirtyWest

Joined Jul 15, 2017
oh, sorry, forgot to paste. just a standard 120/60hz motion detector for garage flood light.

The sensor wires directly to your flood lights..(that would be an opto of some sort in there I would wager or a ssr of its own?).

ThirtyWest

Joined Jul 15, 2017
Hmm. ok. I was hoping the motion sensor would be enough on the ssr-25 AA to handle the pushbutton's power. maybe a mechanical relay?