Help with ULN2803

Chris D

Joined Dec 31, 2016
I am using a ULN2803 with a RPi PICO. The PICO's outputs are 3.3V logic. The relays I will be controlling have 24v coils. Is this an acceptable application for this device? At first glance, it seems okay, but the more I (overthink) things, the more I am questioning this. Can someone help me out?

Thanks much!
Chris

Chris D

Joined Dec 31, 2016
The coil is 24v @ 320 Ohms R, 75mA. There will be other devices I want to drive with the ULN2803 as well and hoping to find a "universal" go do buffer for a lot of other projects, thus the ULN2803.

Chris

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hu Chris,
The d/s suggests that a 3.3V input level to the ULN2803 will be more than enough for those relays.
And up to 250mA load.
E

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
3.3V is enough to drive the Darlington into saturation. And if you only need 75mA of output current you're fine; it can do much more than that.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
You might also consider one or two MIC4467 quad drivers.. They are fully characterised for TTL-level input (2v) and therefore are able to sink or source up to 1.2A if need be (5v <Vs <=18v per output, total package usage limited)

Chris D

Joined Dec 31, 2016
Is there any concern about joining the grounds together of the logic and power side? The 24V power side will have 0 and 24V connection to the ULN2803. However, I am only seeing a +3.3V input to the device and therefore am concerned about there being a difference in potential between the two power supplies. My assumption is to join the two zero lines from each power supply which hopefully brings them to the same potential. Is this thinking correct?

Thanks for the help on this guys, it has been a very long time since I tinkered and not so sure on my memory anymore.

Chris

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Also, watch out for total current output on all 8 pins. You cannot drive all 8 at maximum current. The output currents are derated as more ports are on at the same time. Check the datasheets (may have to look for older ULN2803 sheets), there is a graph showing 100% duty cycle and number of ports on vs current per port. It is all related to maximum power dissipation.
At 75mA, you are ok, not an issue. If all 8 ports are on, maximum current per port is just above 150mA per port. With 4 ports on continuous, about 300mA per port is allowed. (all at 50 deg. C, DIP package)

Last edited:

Chris D

Joined Dec 31, 2016
Awesome guys, thank you all very much for the help and clarification. I am VERY glad I found this resource!
Cheers!
Chris