Help with High Voltage

BillHudson

Joined Apr 24, 2021
I made a mouse, trap/Ridder using a 7500v Neon Light Transformer with wires taped to separate patches of aluminum foil! Well let me just say it worked too good! My wife wasn't too happy though when smoke filled and then rolled out of the closet with burning hair and flesh! I dont blame her. By the time I got to the pull chain to stop it, it was God aweful! Can anyone tell me how to make that auto shut off after a second or so after short circuited, instead of like a bad prison execution?

BillHudson

Joined Apr 24, 2021
No problemo with your assistance maybe a sketch, schematic, photos.
Of your mouse trap thank you sir.
Well it was just a paper plate wrapped in Alum Foil and a plastic block in the middle of it with Alum foil just on top of it and one of each wire scotch taped to each, and peanut butter on the plastic block with the foil. With the mouse back feet on the plate and front feet on the plastic block to get the peanut butter with foils closing the circuit, The design isn't the problem as much as a way to shut off the electric when a mouse shorts the two so that it doesn't continue to fry the mouse. I guess basically I need a way to detect the short from the mouse more than any design considerations. Thank you much...

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
A properly sized slo-blow fuse on the "low voltage" primary? Might take a few calculations and some experimenting...

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hmmm? This thread was locked no further replies I'm still a newbie here quite frankly I claim ignorance as to protocols I just can't take that chance
But for safety purposes that mouse should have been vaporized so something's incorrect. Sorry.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
I have found that eliminating mice is usually best done by sealing holes through which they can travel. For example, I have circulated hot water baseboard heating in my older house. Mice very quickly found the holes through the floor and walls that were drilled when the system was installed. I've sealed those holes with expanding foam thereby eliminating entry paths. This is a far better solution than a potential fire hazard that creates clouds of noxious fumes.