High Voltage Power Supply Design - Help needed

mishra87

Joined Jan 17, 2016
Hello Guys,
I want to design high power supply for below requirement. I want to start with topology selection so could any one help me to start the design.
Input : 48vdc
output : 3.5KV, 3mA
Any reference design, application notes, ideas are highly appreciable.
Thanks in Advance !

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
How accurate do you need the 3.5kV to be? I'd go for a 48v - 400v+400v inverter and a full-wave Cockroft-walton voltage multiplier chain

pwrtrnx

Joined Feb 1, 2024
A flyback, CrCM for preference with say, in this case, 5 x 700V output sections, after the sec side diode(s) and a good film cap(s), put the sections in series, for 3500V. You will need special attention to dividing down the output to get a signal for the feedback loop - as leakage currents can occur for high impedances, you also need a sec side aux supply to power the opto led . . .

mishra87

Joined Jan 17, 2016
A flyback, CrCM for preference with say, in this case, 5 x 700V output sections, after the sec side diode(s) and a good film cap(s), put the sections in series, for 3500V. You will need special attention to dividing down the output to get a signal for the feedback loop - as leakage currents can occur for high impedances, you also need a sec side aux supply to power the opto led . . .
Hi pwrtrnx,
Thanks for your valuable support. i really appreciate your guidance.
I understood the concept could you please share any gate driver ic, which is best suit for this application.
Also why are you not thinking of primary side regulation in spite of having secondary side regulation.
Thanks once again for leading the discussion.
Regards, M

mishra87

Joined Jan 17, 2016
How accurate do you need the 3.5kV to be? I'd go for a 48v - 400v+400v inverter and a full-wave Cockroft-walton voltage multiplier chain
Hi, thanks for comment.
I need regulated output voltage, accuracy 10% would be okay.
If you post any schematic would be really great.
Thanks !

pwrtrnx

Joined Feb 1, 2024
It might be time for you to present a design - based on your best efforts - this is not a trivial job

the transformer needs to be intelligently designed and a suitable freq chosen.