Help with building Very simple Circuits--Freshman engineering lab.

gabriella schweska

Joined Sep 18, 2015
Hello all,
I have a homework assignment based on one of my Circuit labs that I'm having trouble with, normally I would go to a tutor on campus but the girl that typically helps with circuits is out of town this weekend. We are building simple circuits without a breadboard, using LEDs and a small 1.5 V battery power source that uses four AAs. The Lab was intended as an opportunity for us all to individually build a few simple circuits, but pretty much all of our batteries ended up being corroded so my instructor decided to let one member from each team build the circuits while everyone else watched. I genuinely thought I understood what was going on but when I sat down to do the homework I didn't. I was hoping someone could explain to me how to build the following circuits from the diagrams I attached so I can answer my homework problems. Even pointing me in the direction of existing tutorials would be a huge help.
*I have emailed my professor but I don't expect him to email me back over the weekend.
EGR102hw03 help.JPG

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
1) Do you understand what the symbols in those circuits represent?
2) Are the four AA cells connected in series or in parallel to form a battery?
3) Is a battery or a single cell represented in those circuits?
4) Have you learnt Ohm's Law?
5) If you are not using a breadboard, how will you connect components to each other?
6) Do you have a plentiful supply of LEDs?
7) What colour are the LEDs?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What are you supposed to do once you have built each of the circuits? Just observe and comment on which, if either, of the LEDs lights up?

Are you not using any resistors at all in these circuits? If not, hopefully the answer to Alec_t's question #6 is, "Yes."

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
How to build them.

Take battery. One end of battery will have a plus printed on the label. The other end will have a minus printed on the label.

Take led. LED has two "legs". One leg is longer than the other. The longer leg is plus, just like battery. The shorter leg is minus, just like the battery.

Now let us assemble Circuit A.
You have a battery with a plus on one end, minus on another end. You have two led, LED 1, LED 2. Connect the plus leg of LED 1 to plus on the battery, connect the minus of leg of LED 1 to minus on the battery. Now do the same for LED 2.

1.jpg

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I am guessing the lab uses LEDs that have a built in resistor to limit current to prevent them from glowing orange /amber and then not working after about 15 seconds.

Assuming your 4 battery x 1.5 V = 6 volt power pack measures something near 6 volts, then make note of which pins on the LED are anode and cathode.

Then make note of each circuit drawing. Remember that a regular diode and an Light-emitting diode (LED) only let current flow from anode to cathode. If the LED is installed cathode as more positive, no current will flow.

Now, start playing around with that stuff.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I am guessing the lab uses LEDs that have a built in resistor to limit current to prevent them from glowing orange /amber and then not working after about 15 seconds.
That's possible. A resistor/LED unit designed for 12V will still work fairly well on 6V. I think I've even seen battery holders with a built-in limiting resistor for student use but since the schematics don't show that, I made a recommendation that will work explicitly as shown.