help understanding this MCD-50 ozone spa pump, please

circuit-tinkerer

Joined May 23, 2020
Hi, I've been referred here by another forum and hope someone can help.

Am wondering if it would be practical for a qualified person to rip the guts out of this MCD-50 ozone spa pump, substituting the described replacement ozone cell and its custom 220V power supply?

the attached pic is a collage of views of the inside of the MCD-50, as well as a pic of a replacement 'ozone cell' with its attached 220V power supply.

The component topped by the finned plate (also shown in side view) is described elsewhere as the ozone cell's power supply, but I'm unsure of the role of the large transformer ie the one labelled both '240' and '120'?

Could that large transformer be a 'switching' transformer to convert 240v (as on this unit) into 120v, as per the product advice I understand the unit is auto switching between voltages?

There used to be a replacement kit but its no longer available.
Thanks
Circuit-tinkerer

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
That's an ordinary 50/60 Hz transformer in the top right pic, with the Yellow output wires going to the heatsink. The copper wire one is a Filter to take out the motor noise.

Can you take better close up pictures?

circuit-tinkerer

Joined May 23, 2020
Thanks
Its actually 240v coming in, which goes to the board with the inductor/capacitor, then down to the board with the fuse (see pic), then into the 240/120 Volt transformer (see pic) which sends to the 'power supply' (unit with finned top) of the ozone cell...would that be right?

Attachments

circuit-tinkerer

Joined May 23, 2020
Hello, i got this running again with a replacement ozone generator.
As this was rated 220v ie close enough to the town voltage supply of 240volts, i presumed i didn't need the step down transformer...
It ran for a while but the 250v T125mAL fuse has now blown, as pictured.
Should i just get a higher rated fuse eg T250mAL?
Thanks
Tinkerer20220116_173309-COLLAGE~2.jpg

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Your mains supply will be 230V in Europe, you could try it with a 250mA fuse , ideally measure the current that it takes using a multimeter on AC milliamps across the fuse holder with the fuse removed, then you can correctly rate the fuse you need..