HELP - Self-Watering Plant Pot (first PCB Newbie)

Rodolfo Luga II

Joined Feb 4, 2018
Hi , I'm a computer engineering student and we have this project in which you can hopefully help. I made a proposal of having a time-based self-watering pot for our innovation project in my CoE subject. I proposed this in thoughts of having a fully automated watering system for a plant pot so that you can leave it without doing anything and waters itself.

Now I researched about it and all that pops out are projects with arduino implemented on them. I would like my circuit to be simple and not so overly-complicated with just a bunch of IC to work with. So if anyone can help me out it would be very much appreciated, give some advice in what IC and circuit I could use and the circuitry design. Unfortunately our professor didn't really told us the basics of how an IC should work, and I don't even know what an IC is. I think our professor just wanted us to search up in google and just do whatever DIY videos that pops up with our proposed project. I want to understand more about Electronics that's why I want to make my project with an actual understanding in what it really does. I hope someone hears me out and help me with this because I'm a total newb in making these. Thank you.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You're going to need a moisture sensor with hysteresis using an IC like a Lm324 or other op amp,( Ac sensing will reduce erosion of probes), a pump, relay output , psu, and a tank of water ideally with a ball cock topup supply.

Here is an example, this uses DC probes, which will eventually erode away.

garden-watering-circuit.png

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A solenoid to control a flapper valve in supply tank, 555 IC to control solenoid timing, 555 to supply long time hysteresis, & comparator to monitor moisture via stainless steel probes.

Rodolfo Luga II

Joined Feb 4, 2018
You're going to need a moisture sensor with hysteresis using an IC like a Lm324 or other op amp,( Ac sensing will reduce erosion of probes), a pump, relay output , psu, and a tank of water ideally with a ball cock topup supply.

Here is an example, this uses DC probes, which will eventually erode away.

View attachment 145166
is it okay if I don't use a moisture sensor but instead use a time-base one instead? I just need a trigger circuit to "on" the water pump in a certain interval of time like half a day or so, supplying the trigger with a dc battery and relay it with an ac for the water pump.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Timing is used on most automatic watering systems but prof. might not approve of using a Rain bird timer. You have AC 60 or 50 Hz & DC so there is an accurate time base, just need to divide the isolated AC down to a pulse every 24 hrs. then a 555 IC for pump timing. Or,
use a day- night sensor as 24 hr. control.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Timing is a terrible way to water plants. You will end up with either water starved plants or rotted roots.
Most house plants are watered at intervals from 4 to 10 days, not twice a day.