Help Required - a bathroom mirror with a LED surround light.

thrumpi

Joined Apr 12, 2017
Hi all, I am new to this forum and would like your help.
I have just fitted a bathroom mirror with a LED surround light operated via a touch sensitive button on the front.
The mirror is powered from a perm live feed taken from the lighting circuit.
My problem is that the surround light on the mirror is turning itself on and I am unable to turn it off as the touch button seems to go inactive until I cut the power to the mirror completely by isolating the lighting circuit at the consumer unit. Once this is done the mirror resets itself and works as it should until it turns itself on again.
The mirror is mounted 700mm above my radiator, could this be causing the problem? If so is there anything I could do to overcome this?
My other problem is that I purchased the mirror along with my new bathroom equipment over 12 months ago but due to an operation I have only just been able to carry out the work so everything is out of warranty.
I would appreciate any comments or ideas.

JUNELER

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Hi,

What radiator is that , i know car radiator.
i think off your radiator if there is any power on it, then power on your leds.
If still the same, please return to where you buy ,if still under warranty.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Hello thumpi, welcome to the forums. Sorry for your problem.

Do you have the manufacturer and model number of the mirror?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
While I don't know what you have or what's going on with it I can share this with you: I have had a couple "Touch Sensitive" lamps, the kind you touch them once and they're on low. Touch them a second time and they're on medium. A third touch goes high and a fourth touch turns them off. From what you describe I have to conclude you don't have a three light level system, but a more simple touch point to turn them on and off.

Here's why I mentioned my lamps: Sometimes when you turn something on or off - something with an induction motor most typically, it sends a shockwave through the wires. If you're plugged in close enough to the lamps you can trigger them to go on or change their brightness - or shut off. You may have a noise issue on your power line. Unfortunately I (me personally) don't know of a way to clean that up. I'm wondering if a ferrite core on the power line might relieve the problem - but like I said - I don't know.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It doesn't seem like a transient to me since it locks on. My guess is something in the environment is changing the touch capacitance so the controller thinks a touch is happening. That turns it on, and over powers further touch senses so you cannot turn it off. Powering off and on resets the no touch level so it works till the "event" happens again.

There are two environmental factors here: heat from the radiator, and humidity from being in a bath room.

Knowing the unit used, and maybe even some pictures of the installation would help. It also opens up web searches for other people who may have similar problems.

thrumpi

Joined Apr 12, 2017
Hi and thanks for your replies.
Although the mirror cost over £200 it appears that all the info on id & serial number tag is all in Chinese. It does say lillymirror.com.
I will try to upload some pictures so you can see.
There can't be a humidity problem as the bathroom is not in use, plus it is specifically designed for bathrooms with a anti fog heating pad fitted to the rear.

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Looks like the mirror uses a 12V 3amp psu, and the touch pad is the Black Square in the centre, does it still come on with the radiator turned off, or is it playing up either way?

thrumpi

Joined Apr 12, 2017
Looks like the mirror uses a 12V 3amp psu, and the touch pad is the Black Square in the centre, does it still come on with the radiator turned off, or is it playing up either way?
Hi Dave, It appears that it only does it from when the rad first comes on and heats up. I believe that the heat from the rad makes the LED surround lights come on and the touch switch becomes inoperative. As soon as I switch the power off to the mirror and then reinstall it it is back to normal whilst ever the rad is on. I have turned the mirror upside down so that the switch is at the top (which is not ideal) and need to wait now and see if it is on in the morning when the heating comes on again.

vinppp

Joined Jun 5, 2019
Hi op, have you resolved this issue? I recently purchased a vanity mirror with the same style: surround LED and touch sensitive button, it has the similar issue. It turns on whenever I plug in the hairdryer, and it turns on by itself during nighttime.