Help need for amplifier for stereo speaker system

BrainlessDan

Joined Sep 21, 2014
Hi guys,

I am currently in the middle of doing a project where I am trying to make a stereo speaker system. (I know it doesn't seem hard but I'm new at it all).

Anyway, I am aiming to use a woofer and tweeter in conjunction with the use of a 2 way connector and splitting the frequency at 2500 Hz. Here are the links to the woofer and tweeter in question :
Tweeter : http://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gt-525-1-soft-dome-tweeter--270-182
Woofer : http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc200-8-8-classic-woofer--295-310
(And I know there not brilliant speakers but I'm trying to this on a small budget)

I have already calculated the volume of the enclosure for the Woofer using a program called WinISD from linearteam.

But unfortunately that is as far as my knowledge goes on the matter, and I was wondering if any of you guys could help to work out how to make the amplifier and the 2 way connector as I haven't got a clue how to do so. So anyway help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
P.S I will be needing to reference any advice I use, as I need to record all resources used. Hope this is okay.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
What do you mean by "make an amplifier"? Do you want to do it from scratch? If you want to build it, a kit with a circuit board makes life a lot easier and likely will cost less than buying all the parts separately.

And what do you mean by "2 way connector".

BrainlessDan

Joined Sep 21, 2014
What I mean is I need to make a amplifier that works with those speakers but I have no idea how to do so, I mean two way crossover unit (don't know where i got connector from)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
...I don't think anybody here is going to spend days designing a 100 watt stereo amplifier for you when you can buy one for less than it would cost for the parts to build one.
I agree some of the deals coming out of China are very tempting, I recently put together a small piece of test equipment, and could have sourced the same from China for $8.00 p/p, but I had all the parts on hand, still, unless you are doing it for academic reasons, is it worth the time?
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I would not go higher as ca. 40 Watts, as your tweeters are 50 Watts RMS.Bertus
You never know with beginners. Some of them become enamored with transient response and want a 400 watt Crown amplifier for a 40 watt speaker. :rolleyes:

Personally, I like to make my amplifier rated for 1/2 the power rating of the bass speaker. That way, you (almost) can't blow your speakers up, even if things go terribly wrong.

For a beginner diy amplifier, i cannot recommend the LM3886 enough, its a simple rugged pretty much indestructable lil amp ic capable of around 40-50 watts into 4 ohms. You don't even need a PCB to build one. Also you'll have a hard time finding a better sounding amplifier.

Joined Nov 30, 2010