Help me! TTL circuit

tavo91

Joined Jul 11, 2016
I need help to build a circuit with a TTL with an output of 0 to 5 V that will trigger a ventilator with a 120 VAC and power of 1200 walts. This is the first time i am trying to make a circuit with a TTL so i am really lost if somebody can help me will be really appreciate. Thank you

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I need help to build a circuit with a TTL with an output of 0 to 5 V that will trigger a ventilator with a 120 VAC and power of 1200 walts. This is the first time i am trying to make a circuit with a TTL so i am really lost if somebody can help me will be really appreciate. Thank you
How do you want to control the circuit? Using a pushbutton, from the output of another TTL, from a computer?

tavo91

Joined Jul 11, 2016
I was trying to build this in a project board and i am a beginner making circuits so i am trying to have the most simple circuit that will make the ventilator work so i can cool down another project that i am working on.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
There are several ways to accomplish this. The simplest one is to use a commercial SSR. They can normally be activated with a signal ranging from 4 to 30 VDC, and can very easy handle the output power that you want.

tavo91

Joined Jul 11, 2016
I am studying physics and civil engineer and I always like circuits so i am trying to learn this by myself going to some classes just to hear the professor so now i am trying to make a circuit with a TTL, the part that i am having trouble is that i am not sure how a TTL works at all

tavo91

Joined Jul 11, 2016
I will use this circuit to cool down a chemistry reaction that has to be cool down slowly, but thats the problem i am not really sure how to get this circuit to work

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Just a point of reference. Although TTL circuits use a power supply of +5VDC, that by itself does not guarantee that the output high will be +5V. Depending on the load it could be much less.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I will use this circuit to cool down a chemistry reaction that has to be cool down slowly, but thats the problem i am not really sure how to get this circuit to work
There are many, many ways to accomplish that. But it might be more complicated than you think.
Do you have to follow a temperature curve? (time vs temp, that is) If that's the case then you need to continually measure the temperature in your reaction. That is, you need to use a sensor, such as thermocouple, and use its output to activate/deactivate the fan. Or better yet, control de fan speed.
But to do that, you will most likely need to use P&ID logic.

tavo91

Joined Jul 11, 2016
ok yeah it sound more complicated that i was thinking about, but do you think that the link that i posted the photo that is on there is a good point to start making my circuit?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
ok yeah it sound more complicated that i was thinking about, but do you think that the link that i posted the photo that is on there is a good point to start making my circuit?
The only thing that I saw in your link were examples of a discrete-component NAND gate. Those examples help you understand the basic working principles of digital electronics, but have really nothing to do with what you want.

I suggest you start with a block diagram, or a flowchart, of what you want to do. And then we can take it from there.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Some kind of relay?
I am used to AB PLC to activate the relay, but in that case the PLC uses 24 VDC to activate relay.

Also. Did I understand correctly 120 VAC and 1200 Watt? That would mean 120 VAC and 10 A of current?

Another option is to use logic level FET as a switch. As it was explained to me here on the forums, the 5 VDC is TTL logic High, 0 VDC is TTL logic Low. So you can use uC to turn the FET On and Off which in turn will turn On and Off your device.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
So far we have one output (the fan). Do we need to consider anything else before turning the fan on or turning the fan off?

Are there any decisions to be made?

Do you want a manual override?

Fan motors and ducting in toxic environments deteriorate quickly, perhaps a current monitor, temp and mass air flow monitor.

How about a light curtain to actuate automatically? And a delay off timer? Maybe some alarms.

What is your need for logic?