Help me PLEASE!!

ncmike

Joined Jun 3, 2008
I hate to admit this, but I know nothing about reading schematics, building circuits, etc. However, I really want to learn. If anyone is kind enough to help a total newb I am looking for a somewhat easy breadboard project. I really want to learn how resistors, capacitors, switches, etc. work within a circuit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ncmike

Joined Jun 3, 2008
Thank you very much! I think I can learn a great deal visiting this site. Hope to get to know some of you, and if questions from a novice annoy you too badly I am honestly sorry. Thanks again for the welcome and the info, I'm going to try my first breadboard project this week, so wish me luck!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Go down to your neigborhood Radio Shack, and purchase an "Electronics Learning Lab", that was designed by Forrest Mims III. It'll set you back in the neighborhood of $75, but it'll be the best electronics investment that you will make in a long time.

Save your nickels. Buy this lab. You will not regret it, ever - unless you don't make a sincere effort to build the labs.

This learning lab is worth more than the price asked for just the basic lab board alone. It will be a long time before you outgrow it.

ncmike

Joined Jun 3, 2008
Hi SgtWookie..I got the Electronics Learning Lab today! I just finished the first project in Workbook I, and I must say I have never been so stoked to see a red LED flash!! Thanks so much for the heads up. I looked ahead in book I and book II and see how gradual the process is, so it's right up my alley. Thanks again.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Good deal!

You'll learn a lot with that lab.

Forrest Mims III has a number of other books out, too. Radio Shack used to carry them years ago; sadly they discontinued carrying them. But you can order them online, right from Forrest Mims' website:
http://www.forrestmims.com/

His "Mini-Notebooks" are very handy references.
http://www.forrestmims.com/engineers_mini_notebook.html
Check out:
Volume I: Timer, Op Amp, and Optoelectronic Circuits & Projects
Volume IV: Electronic Formulas, Symbols & Circuits (this one stays on my desk)
There are a couple of items that are dated (like the LM3909, a discontinued IC) but better than 98% of the contents of the books are still applicable.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That's one of the places I got my start. Unfortunately I gave my books to a kid at a science fair while I was in college. Might be worth replacing them.