Help. Looking for replacement for power transistor.

Mrchow

Joined Jan 12, 2021
First of all, thank you for your kind help.
The Rpm and gear selector of my guage cluster from the car decided to stop working. It's a digital cluster for gx81 Mark 2 (image for reference attached below). Upon initial diagnosis I found that one of the power transistor 2SC2334L had blown with a significant crack. Since the aforementioned transistor is not available in my country, I was thinking of replacing it with the MJE15032.

Is it a suitable replacement. Once again thank you for your valuable insights.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Will replace it in a bit, hope everything goes well.
The damaged transistor could be a symptom of some other problem. Without schematics, that would be difficult to determine. Hopefully you won't end up having to disassemble your instrument cluster again.

zophas

Joined Jul 16, 2021
When a thingy pops, you always need to ask yourself "Why did the thingy pop?" Thingys don't usually pop for no reason. Many times the thingamajig failed and caused the thingy to pop. So if you just replace the thingy then it will most likely pop again. So the moral of the story is check to see why the thingy popped. :)

Mrchow

Joined Jan 12, 2021
When a thingy pops, you always need to ask yourself "Why did the thingy pop?" Thingys don't usually pop for no reason. Many times the thingamajig failed and caused the thingy to pop. So if you just replace the thingy then it will most likely pop again. So the moral of the story is check to see why the thingy popped. :)
I totally agree with you, in my case the thingy was about 30 years old. Regardless, will perform the necessary checks before installing it into the car.

zophas

Joined Jul 16, 2021
I totally agree with you, in my case the thingy was about 30 years old. Regardless, will perform the necessary checks before installing it into the car.
Well, it's a bit disturbing to hear that old thingy's pop. I am a lot older than your popped thingy. But I think I'll be ok, I've had my shot's and I wear a mask and I stay the *bleep* away from humans. I prefer cats and thingys.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
any idea what might be causing it
There's no way for any of us to even attempt guesses unless you can trace the circuitry around the transistor that's getting hot and make a partial schematic. That's going to be a challenge with a multi-layer board, particularly if any blind vias were used.