Help Identifying SMD Component

radd

Joined Dec 6, 2015
Hi,

just found this place, wish I had a long time ago, could have saved me some agro !

I am hoping someone may be able to help me identify this component, the best i have managed is that it is polarized, and 122K ohms
but unsure if it's a capacitor or diode. I'm only going by second hand info, it's a flight controller board for a drone.

blade chip.jpg

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
hard to say, it is some sort of polarized component such as diode or electrolytic capacitor (although this is not likely due small size).

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
A picture with sharper detail would help.

If this is for a drone, I don't think you should be modifying or repairing. Send it back to the manufacturer.

radd

Joined Dec 6, 2015
Thanks for the replies ! sorry don't have a better picture, board was professionally repaired, but the so called professional,
was supposed to resolder that chip and lost it :-(

I can't send it to the manufacturer as they don't repair their boards only replace them at 200 bucks.

If it helps any there are 3 etched lines on it as well

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi,

just found this place, wish I had a long time ago, could have saved me some agro !

I am hoping someone may be able to help me identify this component, the best i have managed is that it is polarized, and 122K ohms
but unsure if it's a capacitor or diode. I'm only going by second hand info, it's a flight controller board for a drone.

View attachment 96055
My guess would be a diode - a chip tantalum capacitor is more likely to have an all numerical code like a resistor.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Thanks for the replies ! sorry don't have a better picture, board was professionally repaired, but the so called professional,
was supposed to resolder that chip and lost it :-(
Is the indicated part straddling the space to the pads below it?
I can't send it to the manufacturer as they don't repair their boards only replace them at 200 bucks.
Drones are in uncharted legal waters. Anyone repairing or modifying a drone could be held responsible for any harm caused by the drone; regardless of whether the repair or modification caused the problem.

The FAA says I can't shoot them down, but I believe very strongly that my right to privacy on my property usurps any poorly written law. Prisons in the US can't shoot down drones that are being used to deliver contraband to prisoners.

radd

Joined Dec 6, 2015
Thanks again guys !

@bertus, thanks will have a look!

@ dl324, it was soldered to the 2 pads Left - Right of it, the 2 smaller pads below were empty.
I can see you are not a drone fan, Sorry! your help is greatly appreciated though :)

If I could find someone with the same board, what test could I have them do to confirm the type/specs of the chip?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Thanks again guys !

@bertus, thanks will have a look!

@ dl324, it was soldered to the 2 pads Left - Right of it, the 2 smaller pads below were empty.
I can see you are not a drone fan, Sorry! your help is greatly appreciated though :)

If I could find someone with the same board, what test could I have them do to confirm the type/specs of the chip?
Look in the SMD code books.

Sometimes you'll find the same code repeated for several devices - usually identifying the type package will narrow it down.

radd

Joined Dec 6, 2015
Thanks for all your help, much appreciated :)

It seems to be the one that Bertus referenced ;-)

Would you agree that this would be correct:

Untitled.jpg

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
yep.. just a diode..
And shame on the "company" they didn't even include ref designators on the pcd.. amateurs :)
There are dozens of types of diode, with a screen print legend; a zener might have been given a ZD designation - but it rarely gets better than that.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
yep.. just a diode..
And shame on the "company" they didn't even include ref designators on the pcd.. amateurs :)
On PCBs with dense SMD placements, reference designators take up too much board space. Even part outlines are sometimes left out due to space limitations. On boards that I used to work on, we had neither. The only indication that a part went somewhere was the exposed solder pads and resist opening.

radd

Joined Dec 6, 2015
Wow! thanks for all the info ;-)

Could I trouble you to help me with one other chip on the board it's above the 1002 resistor: Marked BR V

I'm guessing it may also be a diode, but looking through the code book ref's might it also be a transitor ?

Closest I could match it to is:

MMBZ5253B BR SOT-23

Thanx!

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
It appears to be a transistor. However, there is no standard for marking the SMDs from manufacturer to manufacturer. You'll have to search the manufacturer's web site looking for case markings, or pour through all the different spec sheets to find your device. It can be daunting.

radd

Joined Dec 6, 2015
Thanks! I agree, after a little more searching it seems more likely to be a transistor.

They don't like to make identifying smd's easy :-(