Help identifying a component

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Ben H, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Ben H

Thread Starter New Member

May 29, 2017
    I am new to this site and I am by no means an electronics wizz. I joined to hopfully learn a few things about circuts. Hopfully some of you guys/girls could help me.
    I bought a remote controlled ride on vehicle for my 18mo daughter. I of course started to tinker with it by putting light all over it, upgrading the battery and motors. All went great until last night.
    I was tinkering some more and shorted something. The circuit which I assume is the reciever let out a puff of smoke a d from what I can tell only one component inside appears to be damaged. I'd like to replace that one piece but the problem is that I don't know what it is and I can't find anything with the part number and where the piece split it difficult to read the numbers anyway. I am going to hopfully attach a photo of it and someone could identify by looking at it. It was screwed to a heat sink if it helps.
    Thank you in advanced

2. LesJones

Jan 8, 2017
    There is no way to tell what the device is from your picture. The only thing we can say is that it is a TO220 style package. There are probably tens of thousand different devices built in that type of package. You will need to trace out the schematic of the board that it was on. I would guess that it is probably a PWM speed controller for the main motor. Yoy will also need to say what the power supply voltage is and the full load current of the motor so that we can suggest a suitably rated device for a replacement. It will probably be a bipolar transistor or a mosfet.

Les.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    User578 likes this.
  3. Ben H

May 29, 2017

4. Ben H

May 29, 2017
    Here is the whole board. It run on a 12v batrery. Maybe that will help? . thank you for your response btw.

5. debe

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 21, 2010
    We need the numbers on the device, your picture is not clear enough, you can almost read them.

6. LesJones

Jan 8, 2017
    A picture is not a schematic. You need to trace the tracks between the components and DRAW a schematic from that. Assuming that the device was U3 then it looks like it was an NPN transitor or an N channel mosfet.
    Start by tracing the schematic from pin 1 (The bottom pin on your picture) of U3 which will be the base or gate. The components between that pin and the source of the drive signal will give us a good idea of weather it is a transistor or a mosfet. As you have not told us the motor current then wee will have to guess that is is abou 15 amps from the relay ratings.

Les.

7. be80be

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 5, 2008
    Take a picture of the back of the board i bet there 2 cap's and it was a 7805 that
    regulated the 5 volt power But it maybe 3.3 volt

Probably right it's a NPN maybe

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  8. Ben H

May 29, 2017
    Ok. I apologize that I've left out as much information as I have, but as I stated in the beginning of this thread that I am new to this and I am learning. I can't express my gratitude enough to all who have taken there time to try and help me out. Thank you.
    I have taken another photo of the top of the board along with one of the back. The red arrows point to where the component was soldered onto the board and if it helps, the black arrows point to where the power in and out are located.
    Hopfully these might clarify things a little more?

9. LesJones

Jan 8, 2017
    You will need to trace the track that connects to pin 1 of U3. We can't do that for you as the track seems to be on the component side of the board and it is hidden from our view by the large diodes. The top surface of the 8 pin chip looks like is blistered. Is it blistered or is it just a mark on it ? If it is blistered then that device will also be destroyed.Can you read the numbers on the 8 pin chip and the two 16 pin chips ?

Les.

10. Ben H

May 29, 2017
    Again, please bare with me, you said you need the numbers of the device. Looking at the board, below the relays are 2 sets of numbers. The top one reads as follows
    "2G4-RX7-D4" the second set of #'s are
    "201600305"
    As far as drawing a schmatic? I do not know how to do that. Maybe the numbers will help..... Please remember that I appreciate everyone's attempt to assist me with this.

11. Ben H

May 29, 2017
    The 16 pin chip reads XL159 and I can not make out the numbers on the 8 pin.

12. Ben H

May 29, 2017
    I believe you are correct Mr. Jones. The 8 pin chip does appear to have a blister. At least a raised area that catches my fingernail. It would be safe to say I ruined the board?
    I had originally planed on buying a 4 or 6ch transmitter and reciever to put in this vehicle ( I can always use it for another project when my daughter can drive this one herself) is there a pwm with motor reversing and soft start available? And does anyone know of any that could be made to be operated with a servo?
    If I destroyed this board, I would like to either find a replacement or a substitute because my daughter really loves to ride in this and I feel terrible that she cant

13. LesJones

Jan 8, 2017
    I can't find any data on a XL159 chip so it could be an in house part number. I think your best solution would be to try to buy a replacement board from the manufacturer of the vehicle.

Les.

14. Ben H

May 29, 2017
    Thank you very much for your time and all of your input. Ill try to contact the manufacturer. That does seem to be the easiest way to fix my mistake.

15. Ben H

May 29, 2017
    Well, I contacted the manufacturer and ask about purchasing another board and they said if its within the warrentee period of 60 days from the purchase date and I can provide proof of purchase, they will profuse me with the requested item.
    If its beyond the 60 days that they don't sell that part bc they don't carry a surplus of parts, only enough for the ones being assembled at any given time.
    I emailed them back asking why they don't offer replacement parts for items they produce but I get no response. So that's it, ill have to go a different route.
    Would anyone have any suggestions?

16. jayanthd

Jul 4, 2015
    The two relays are for forward and reverse direction control, I guess.. Instead of using H-Bridge they (taht changed to they) have used relays. Only one relay will be ON at a time.

The TO220 package device must be a transistor or mosfet for speed control using PWM (accelerator) for the bike.

Left and Right is controlled by handle / steering wheel. It doesn't need any circuit.

The two black arrows point to Automobile Fuses (edited) or probably high ampere rated jumpers., I guess.

If you can draw the whole circuit then I might be able to help you.

Edit: Both relays will be ON at the same time. Relays change the power supply connections to motor for forward and reverse movement.

If you mention the exact specification of the motors then I will design a new circuit which uses micrcontroller for free. You can then replace the your old board with mine. Mine will use H-Bridge.

Mosfet is for PWM control.

Does it have one 12V motor or 2x ? If one motor then motor will have shaft on both sides.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  17. abraar_sameer

May 29, 2017
    Looks like the TO220 device is a MOSFET, regulator or transistor. Please post the text written on it.

18. JUNELER

Jul 13, 2015
    Hi,
    Can you see any letter such B C E or G D S. If BCE you seen it is a transistor and G D S it is a mosfet.

19. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    I would say it's a N channel Mosfet, try a substitute like a IRF510 / or IRF540.

You probably shorted out the motor terminals and blew up the transistor.