Help!!. I need to identfiy a resistor

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is a high wattage wire wound, you will have to measure the metal conductor each side of any break.
They are available but not exactly in that format, maybe
Max.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The resistor was already cooked before you snapped it.
Can you post a photo of the back side of the circuit board?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I don't see a break in the spiral so probably one of the end cap connections to the spiral was opened. If so, you should be able to measure the full value from end to end with a little wiggle on the loose end.

I'm not sure what that string is there for but resistors of that type make poor accessory hangers. ;)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I don't see a break in the spiral so probably one of the end cap connections to the spiral was opened. If so, you should be able to measure the full value from end to end with a little wiggle on the loose end.

I'm not sure what that string is there for but resistors of that type make poor accessory hangers. ;)
Simple. The string is the TS' clever way of pointing to the component in question.:D

Twincamman01

Joined Jun 27, 2018
Any idea where I could buy one to get my garage door working?? Or real easy directions on how to measure said resistor? And then what to ask for when ordering.. Sorry to be a pain in the a%# but I know nothing about these part.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you can't get the exact replacement type, I would attempt to measure it, most likely very low Ohms, and look for a 10watt wire wound at Digikey etc.
Max.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Any idea where I could buy one to get my garage door working?? Or real easy directions on how to measure said resistor? And then what to ask for when ordering.. Sorry to be a pain in the a%# but I know nothing about these part.
You need to buy or borrow a multimeter to measure the resistance. Places like Harbor Freight have very inexpensive ones. Make sure the power is disconnected then follow the meter instructions to set up the meter. There are tutorials online that show you how to measure the value of a resistor. In your particular case you'll have to wiggle the end caps of the resistor with the meter probes to get a reading. You're also going to need to be able to unsolder the old resistor and solder the replacement in. Let us know how the measurement goes.