Help Building biofeedback for muscle sensor / EMG with arduino

stregoi

Joined Jun 12, 2014
Hi hope someone can help me achieving this build, i am a newbee in electronics.

I am working with a research project in my hospital department, where i have to monitor the back muscle activity in scoliosis patients.
I have to record the EMG activity 4 different places ( 4 electrodes/channels), for 24h for like a whole week.

I have in mind to use an Arduino ( as small as possible ), some electrodes, and somekind of external storage, an SD card maybe.

i have been looking around in the internet but almost all projects involving EMG sensors are single channel and not storing in a card.

So please any advice on how i can approach the project ?, what will i need and eventually some suggestions about what i am intending to do.

Any help will be appreciated.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I would be very careful with anything attached to a patient. If not FDA certified you could be in a whole heap-o-lot of trouble.
I would start with four single channel sensors if that is all you have. What kind of interface do these sensors provide? Can you provide a link to a datasheet?

This link might help. Note the use of 9V batteries, an important safety precaution.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Muscle-EMG-Sensor-for-a-Microcontroller/

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't see how a 5 volt sensor array can hurt anybody, but a lawyer probably can. Be sure to get FDA approval BEFORE you design it.:rolleyes:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't see how a 5 volt sensor array can hurt anybody, but a lawyer probably can. Be sure to get FDA approval BEFORE you design it.:rolleyes:
I worked with machines attached to patients and the FDA process is both meticulous and rigorous. Battery operation gives a significant advantage until there is an oxygen tent involved and then there is a whole other protocol.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have to record the EMG activity 4 different places ( 4 electrodes/channels), for 24h for like a whole week.
I assumed this meant the subject wouldn't be in an oxygen tent and the machine would use batteries. Maybe I was wrong.:oops:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I assumed this meant the subject wouldn't be in an oxygen tent and the machine would use batteries. Maybe I was wrong.:oops:
I did not assume battery operation, but since the probes are required to pierce the skin I think it would be advisable. Many non-invasive instruments use AC supplies compatible with hospital outlets that limit leakage current and other things. Blood pressure and respirators are two examples.

stregoi

Joined Jun 12, 2014
Thanks for the answers guys .. sure i will apply for approval before starting my project, i have to be sure that i can make the thing though. i was thinking about using Myoware as the EMG sensor. is it a good idea ?
but connecting 4 of myowares + SD card reader + arduino, is my issue .. and/Or is it enough ? is their a smarter wahy to do that ?