Help about graphics cards

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
If you are talking about PC graphics cards then there are no schematics available and they are almost impossible to fix.

I've read that many problems are due to failed solder joints and removing all the plastic and "baking" the PCB in the oven to reflow the solder can sometimes work?

abrsvc

Joined Jun 16, 2018
A lot will depend upon the problem and the card itself. Can you describe some of the problems that you are seeing? Run of the mill cards are not worth the effort. However, some of the higher end ones are worth a look anyway. Sometimes the failures are simple, other times not. If the problem is power related (blown fuse, shorted mosfet, etc.), it can be found and fixed with a little effort and time. I have fixed a few but it does take some time an equipment as most parts are surface mounted.
Dan

Dzoro

Joined Feb 1, 2019
A lot will depend upon the problem and the card itself. Can you describe some of the problems that you are seeing? Run of the mill cards are not worth the effort. However, some of the higher end ones are worth a look anyway. Sometimes the failures are simple, other times not. If the problem is power related (blown fuse, shorted mosfet, etc.), it can be found and fixed with a little effort and time. I have fixed a few but it does take some time an equipment as most parts are surface mounted.
Dan
I have fixed hundreds of cards with blown fuses and mosfets but one man gave me 5 xfx rx580 4gb all with the same problem all the cards are heating and the fans are spining but the card isnt recognized anywhere and i tryed everithing and i cant fix it do you know what can be the problem?

abrsvc

Joined Jun 16, 2018
Usually when the card is not recognized, a voltage is missing and a section of the card is not functioning. Search the card for all voltage levels. Somewhere there is a shorted cap or mosfet most likely.

Dzoro

Joined Feb 1, 2019
Usually when the card is not recognized, a voltage is missing and a section of the card is not functioning. Search the card for all voltage levels. Somewhere there is a shorted cap or mosfet most likely.
Thats the tricky part because all the voltages are present because the gpu crystal is heating and the voltage on him is present but the card doesnt post

abrsvc

Joined Jun 16, 2018
Try isolating the GPU from any voltages. If the card is seen at that point, the GPU is faulty. Isolation is the key here. You need to isolate portions of the card to locate the failing portion.

Dzoro

Joined Feb 1, 2019
Try isolating the GPU from any voltages. If the card is seen at that point, the GPU is faulty. Isolation is the key here. You need to isolate portions of the card to locate the failing portion.
Nice trick i will try that