hello i need 3N187 dual mosfet

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
hello can somebody help me where to find 3N187 dual mosfet, of i dont know how to make thnx
If you mean dual gate MOSFET - its essentially 2 single gate units in casc-ode.

Motorola might still be doing similar parts with MFE prefix.

VHF and UHF DG MOSFETS were once very common in TV tuners - but I don't know about since DVB.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
They were used as mixers in some H.F/VHF receivers, the equivalent list by D1243 should help, but I know that the 3n187 had special low capacitance protection diodes built in which may be an important feature in your application. Check out the equivalents carefully before substituting, also pin outs may be different.
Whenever I had to replace Mosfets like this, I used to use an anti static wrist earth strap, and push all four pins into a piece of aluminium cooking foil, solder the device into the circuit board, then carefully remove the foil with tweezers.
Static on these types may not completely destroy them but can cause changes in the characteristics that can lead you on a merry old dance if you are unlucky.
Also make sure the soldering iron is low leakage and suitable for static sensitive components.
You may well be aware of the above, but I mention it because others who read it may not be.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
They were used as mixers in some H.F/VHF receivers, the equivalent list by D1243 should help, but I know that the 3n187 had special low capacitance protection diodes built in which may be an important feature in your application. Check out the equivalents carefully before substituting, also pin outs may be different.
Whenever I had to replace Mosfets like this, I used to use an anti static wrist earth strap, and push all four pins into a piece of aluminium cooking foil, solder the device into the circuit board, then carefully remove the foil with tweezers.
Static on these types may not completely destroy them but can cause changes in the characteristics that can lead you on a merry old dance if you are unlucky.
Also make sure the soldering iron is low leakage and suitable for static sensitive components.
You may well be aware of the above, but I mention it because others who read it may not be.
What the TS mentioned probably pre dates protection diodes - most modern devices have them.

TV tuner DG MOSFETs have very low gate capacitance - especially the UHF ones.

AFAICR: the BF991 is good to nearly 1GHz and should have a spice model floating around somewhere.

The 991 is SMD, the 981 is pretty much the same spec in the old leaded pill type package. The 981 is hard to find unless you have a pile of old tuners stashed away.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
What the TS mentioned probably pre dates protection diodes - most modern devices have them.

AFAICR: the BF991 is good to nearly 1GHz and should have a spice model floating around somewhere.

The 991 is SMD, the 981 is pretty much the same spec in the old leaded pill type package. The 981 is hard to find unless you have a pile of old tuners stashed away.
I think that the 3n187 was one of the first to have the built in diodes, they where specified as being on the die and very low capacitance, Part of the advertising for them that was emphasised by the manufacturer. I can't be absolutely sure which transceiver we used to modify, may have been a Yaesu that used an unprotected dual gate mosfet as a mixer and rf amplifier that used to pop on a regular basis, fitting the 3n187 cured the problem.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I think that the 3n187 was one of the first to have the built in diodes, they where specified as being on the die and very low capacitance, Part of the advertising for them that was emphasised by the manufacturer. I can't be absolutely sure which transceiver we used to modify, may have been a Yaesu that used an unprotected dual gate mosfet as a mixer and rf amplifier that used to pop on a regular basis, fitting the 3n187 cured the problem.
The very famous 40673 goes back to one of the devices on the page - the part the TS has probably matches an RCA part too.

Probably long since obsolete, but as I mentioned elsewhere; Motorola more recently did MFE prefixes that were similar.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
The very famous 40673 goes back to one of the devices on the page - the part the TS has probably matches an RCA part too.

Probably long since obsolete, but as I mentioned elsewhere; Motorola more recently did MFE prefixes that were similar.
I've still got some 40673's, probably never going to need them now though. When the T.S first posted, I went and had a look at my stock in case I had one but no luck.

michael1978

Joined Jun 29, 2014

hello i have that one, is similary to 3N187?

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
I have models DualGate:

Dualgate.png

Although this may be out of place. Perhaps you need to make repairs and do not need to calculate the circuit. But sometimes the calculation shows: is replacement permissible.